Project Box for a Tread Brick
Apr 25, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
Not really blind but I didn't say much about either beforehand just said they were "similar". Like I said, certainly not scientific and people didn't have bad things to say about the TREAD powered version, just that the STEPS version sounded sweeter, cleaner and overall just a bit more refined (my version of their words). They all commented that the TREAD version looked better though
smily_headphones1.gif

Nate

Out of curiousity, how many people did you poll...?

Apr 25, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #17 of 32
You know, schematically there isn't much difference between a TREAD and a STEPS. The STEPS has more filtering caps on it (four instead of one, iirc) and it as an AC filter. It'd be interesting to know with the Millett if it's the AC line filter or the extra filtering caps. It would be pretty easy to find out too - add some extra filtering caps to the TREADified Millett and re-do the comparison with the same people.

If I didn't owe so damn much money to Revenue Canada I'd be buying more parts and I'd try it out myself.

Apr 25, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz
Out of curiousity, how many people did you poll...?

There were probably 4 or 5 folks who made comments like this during the day.

Quote:

You know, schematically there isn't much difference between a TREAD and a STEPS.

Do you think that the quality of transformer used could also play a role?

Apr 25, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #19 of 32
I have my tread in a 1.75 x 3 x 4.75 Hammond and use a wall wart. Oh, yeh there's a Pimeta in the case also.
icon10.gif

Apr 25, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

There were probably 4 or 5 folks who made comments like this during the day.

Interesting - while your sample is not random and the testing wasn't blind - from your description I'm not that concerned about the details of the statistical issues - it would seem to be a statistically significant trend. At the very least, it's highly suggestive.

Quote:

Do you think that the quality of transformer used could also play a role?

Probably because toroidals induce less noise in nearby components but standard transformers cause less noise in their outputs - so from that, I would infer that the quality of a transformer probably is important... but it's just an inference of course.

Apr 25, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #21 of 32
From what I understand, Toroids do have the downside of coupling any RF crap coming in to the secondaries (because of the way they're wound).

I'd have a hard time believing there would be much of a difference between a TREAD and a STEPS, simply because they're both based around the same regulator with very similar implementations. That's not to say there couldn't be, but I just find it interesting that people could hear it on the Millett.

Apr 25, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by motherone
From what I understand, Toroids do have the downside of coupling any RF crap coming in to the secondaries (because of the way they're wound).

I'd have a hard time believing there would be much of a difference between a TREAD and a STEPS, simply because they're both based around the same regulator with very similar implementations. That's not to say there couldn't be, but I just find it interesting that people could hear it on the Millett.

Well, I do and I don't. The STEPS has an AC line filter built into it which would reduce the amount of RF crap that is passed on to the next stage of the power supply. That could be an important issue.

I believe what nate said about asking people to pick their prefered amplifier. Determining the probability that five people out of five would pick the same amplifier where the only difference is the TREAD is pretty easy.. It's just the 5 Choose 5 * (0.5)^5*(0.5)^0. 5 Choose 5=1, anything raised to the power of 0 is one.. so we have 0.5^5, which is 0.03125.

There are other possibilities. Perhaps the Millett Hybrid with the STEPS power supply, by chance, was assembled better. I don't think that this is a very likely explanation, but it's possible and it's actually quite easy to determine. Switch power supplies and repeat the experiment.

It's also possible that the difference that they were hearing is in the tubes between the two amps. Again, it's easy to test this - just swap the tubes from one to the other and repeat the experiment.

it could be an interaction between the poewr supply and the tubes - maybe one set of tubes match really well with one power supply - and it's not so much the tubes or the power supply - but the synergy. This would require a further four comparisons.

It's possible that nate somehow unintentionally indicated which amplifier would be better. This happens all the time in experiments, which is why when I'm doing a large biology experiment I randomize my experimental and control lines so that while I'm doing the experiment I don't know which is which - and I can only decode them again when the experiment is finished. This is something that happens a lot. This has been studied a lot in the medical literature, and it's why people in medical science use double blind studies. Humans are very good at picking up subtle and unintentional clues.

it's also possible that there were random differences in the capacitor qualities used in the two amps. There are not that many capacitors in amp - I think only 4 of the electrolytics are in places where their qualities would strongly affect the audio performance. It's not hard to imagine a situation in which one amp - by chance, got better performaning instances of the same category of capacitors.

It is possible there are some differences between the two amplifiers other than the TREAD/STEPS which is difficult to ascertain. Perhaps the TREAD one was assembled first, and somehow Nate did a better job on the second one with the STEPS power supply. The only way to discount this would be to redo the experiment with the same two amplifiers and same two power supplies.

Anyway, welcome to my statistical hell.

Apr 26, 2006 at 1:33 PM Post #23 of 32
Wow! I can't believe this. I take a 3 hour drive and then walk my dog, and come back to see all this! This is the most action any of my threads have ever gotten. And I missed it! That's the good news. The bad news is that it was hijacked by a band of marauding Steps aficionados. And then, just as I geT to page two.... the forum goes down. How does it all end? And then I fall asleep after I write this into notepad and my laptop won't wake up and I have to slam it down. Ah... but I saved the note pad file before I fell asleep. Gotcha Dell!

Seriously, though, don't worry about the hijack because this is an interesting subject and I think I'm all alone in the wilderness on the brick idea. Except that one guy that posted those images that got me started on that....

A couple things since my name kept popping up. I did test my Millet with a Steps and a Tread and they did measure (in RMAA) identically. My Tread is in a brick but fed by a wall wart so it was very isolated from the amp. The Steps had the standard Amveco toroidal (24V/25KVA) and was in it's own Hammond case. It has upgraded MUR820 rectifiers and an LM338 regulator. It would be capable of some serious power output if the reg were bolted to a boat anchor.

RMAA basically runs a most likely not very stressful set of signals through the amp, looking for noise, channel separation, THD and IMD. By not very stressful, I mean that it probably does not push the amp very hard. I don't think their methodology is well documented but I have listened to the test signals in my headphones- it is a very modest signal level. That tells me that the Tread is very adequate at basic noise rejection. It does not tell me what the more limited cap reservoir is or is not capable of, or any of the other upgraded parts such as the discrete diode bridge. When you consider the PSU caps, you also have to consider that some amps have so much on board reservoir capacity that the PSU probably doesn't need any at all beyond what is required to smooth the ripple enough to make the regulator happy. Some people put so much capacitance in their amps that they blow up their PSUs just firing the amp up.

One thing that I did play with (extensively) was power supply placement. Here I used my M3, which is my inherently quietest amp. It is really quiet- like -100db noise. See AMB's RMAA results- mine were very similar although he edged me out on most of his measurements. I found that placing my Steps (encased in a Hammond) directly side by side with the M3 (also encased in it's own larger Hammond) added a fairly significant set of bumps (60Hz and harmonics) to the RMAA noise graph and it did affect the overall noise score. Moving it about a foot or two away cleared that up.

I did further testing with my Tread and my portable Pimeta (because the Pimeta is in a Serpac H65 and therefore totally unshielded and exposed, same with the Tread in a plastic project box). I laid the Tread directly on top of the Pimeta (and vice versa) and side by side. The transformer wart was several feet away. I was not able to adversely affect the RMAA noise results by any position of the Tread and Pimeta, and from that I concluded that the Tread board itself does not emanate any measurable noise. When I laid the wart on the Pimeta, the numbers went into the crapper, of course.

Sometime later I made a statement in a thread to the affect that I would never put a Steps in the same case as an amp. I got a little heat for that statement and in some contexts it might have been deserved. At the time I was thinking about my M3, which has such spectacular test numbers. My thinking was... why go to all the effort and expense to build an amp with such fantastic measurable specs, and then stick a trannie next to it and add big 60 Hz (and harmonic) humps to it's noise charts? The fact that I personally never heard any noise from the Steps when it was kissing the M3 had nothing to do with it. It is a philosophical thing with me. I see guys extolling the virtues of their $20/ft pure silver wire (whose benefits cannot be measured as far as I know); that is not my thing, but something that is clearly measurable is of great interest to me. Beyond that, half the fun of building an M3 is to see if AMB really made up all those numbers and RMAA charts out of thin air :)

Ssshhhh.... (whispering) I put my Steps on top of my M3 whenever desk space is tight. I have never heard any of the noise that RMAA is showing me. I just wouldn't imprison it next to my M3. Make sense? Function over form.

One thing to add here: it was pointed out to me that my tests of the Steps/M3 were using aluminum (from the cases) as shielding. An integrated amp/psu would normally have a steel plate shielding the psu (if it's done right). Therefore, my test results might not agree with tests done on well built integrated amp/psu with a steel shield plate. Most of the images I have seen here of integrated units, WERE NOT shielded, though. Something to consider if you are designing such an amp.

Maybe that will help vixr with his question.

Nate: you have piqued my interest enough that I am going to play with my Millet and compare PSU's again. Even better, the M3, assuming it doesn't shut down the Tread regulator. It would be easier, by the way, to remove capacitance from the Steps and compare to a Tread, rather than try to rig up some sort of air wired bank on the Tread. Some people think monolithic bridges sound bad and discretes sound better. Personally I don't buy that because any difference is noise (correct me if I am wrong here - do wimpy little monolithic bridges suffer from voltage or current sag when they are pushed dynamically?). See also Tangent's test results using his LNMP hi gain amp. His noise level tests of a Steps and Tread are virtually identical. If there is a difference in the sound quality, I don't think it is noise related.

The reason I asked Nate about the blind testing is that when I look at my Steps in it's nice 6.3x4x2 Hammond case, with it's relatively big cooling tower on the reg, and then look at my wimpy little Tread in it's plastic RatShack make believe brick, I have a hard time believing the Tread can keep up with the Steps. It's a psychological thing that has nothing to do with objective numbers. I would LOVE to see some serious blind testing.

Clutz: Good points; I am going to address some of these in another post.

Regards,
Neil

Apr 26, 2006 at 1:57 PM Post #24 of 32
Clutz: VERY good points, all of them!

Quote:

Well, I do and I don't. The STEPS has an AC line filter built into it which would reduce the amount of RF crap that is passed on to the next stage of the power supply. That could be an important issue. .

I agree. This also suggests that a Tread (with an iron core wallwart physically separated from the amp) does not need the Steps line filter as much as the Steps does. My brick is currently designed with a toroid, simply because it fits the box better than the iron cores I have looked at and only costs a couple bucks more. Something for me to ponder.

Quote:

There are other possibilities. Perhaps the Millett Hybrid with the STEPS power supply, by chance, was assembled better. I don't think that this is a very likely explanation, but it's possible and it's actually quite easy to determine. Switch power supplies and repeat the experiment.

It's also possible that the difference that they were hearing is in the tubes between the two amps. Again, it's easy to test this - just swap the tubes from one to the other and repeat the experiment.

it could be an interaction between the poewr supply and the tubes - maybe one set of tubes match really well with one power supply - and it's not so much the tubes or the power supply - but the synergy. This would require a further four comparisons.

Again, I agree completely. I have 5 each of 12AE6, 12FM6 and 12FK6. I have seen vast differences in performance with some RMAA tests. I could spend a lifetime just testing all those tubes. I saw distortion results anywhere from 0.25% to 1% for any given tube and I even tried to "match" tubes by picking the lowest distortion tubes. I think tube variation is far, far greater than the variations in the supplies and that has to be taken into account in any testing and comparisons.

It would probably be better to test the PSU's against two high end solid state amps (such as a pair of identical M3's) simply to remove the tube variance from the equation. Yes, there is also variation in the trannies but they can be matched and, in principle, were one determined enough, a pair of amps could be built with trannies that were matched between units even if the NPN/PNP matching was not successful, as is usually the case with the output trannies. Or maybe with monolithic buffers- maybe they are inherently better matched; I don't know.

Quote:

It is possible there are some differences between the two amplifiers other than the TREAD/STEPS which is difficult to ascertain. Perhaps the TREAD one was assembled first, and somehow Nate did a better job on the second one with the STEPS power supply. The only way to discount this would be to redo the experiment with the same two amplifiers and same two power supplies.

This is not idle speculation. After I built my M3, my initial RMAA tests showed typical distortion in one channel: about 0.001%. The other channel consistently produced 0.5% distortion. I photographed the underside of the board and I studied every solder joint in that channel, both directly with a very expensive Zeiss 20x magnifier and via the high res (and very high quality) images. I never found a specific fault but after reflowing all the joints in that channel, the distortion went down to the specified 0.001% zone. I highly recommend RMAA as a basic tool for testing builds. It's free- all you need is a very high quality sound card. I used the same card AMB uses- a stand alone M-Audio Firewire that I bought for about $130 from J&R just to do this testing. I think it paid off. I'll bet there are a lot of underperforming builds that need this type of testing for the final debugging.

Quote:

Anyway, welcome to my statistical hell.

Do you do research work (as in University type work) or is this commercial biological experimentation? If the former, I think you could get funding for some double blind Steps/Tread testing.
icon10.gif

Regards,
Neil

Apr 26, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilR
I highly recommend RMAA as a basic tool for testing builds. It's free- all you need is a very high quality sound card. I used the same card AMB uses- a stand alone M-Audio Firewire that I bought for about $130 from J&R just to do this testing. I think it paid off. I'll bet there are a lot of underperforming builds that need this type of testing for the final debugging.

Neil,

The above would make an excellent how-to write up thread... Hint Hint. I'd be very interested in the ability to do some quantitative measuring.

Apr 26, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit
Neil,

The above would make an excellent how-to write up thread... Hint Hint. I'd be very interested in the ability to do some quantitative measuring.

I'll keep that in mind, Sam, although AMB is the right one to do it because he has far more experience and knowledge than I do (hint hint).

I have always been puzzled that, given the obsessive fixation with performance here, there is so little actual objective testing being done/reported here.

Apr 26, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #27 of 32
Dr. Xin (Fixup) has passionately argued for the same thing before - especially for using RMAA in conjunction with the M-Audio Transit - but as an ordinary tool for the regular DIY'er.

What do you use for dummy loads - a selection of 1W resistors?

Apr 26, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
Dr. Xin (Fixup) has passionately argued for the same thing before - especially for using RMAA in conjunction with the M-Audio Transit - but as an ordinary tool for the regular DIY'er.

I built a dummy load based on Tangent's article. I added a few embellishments- test probe sockets and an extra 1/4" jack. The dummy load is very important because amp performance is highly dependent on load. Except the M3, which would probably test good into a dead short
biggrin.gif

I started down the route that Tangent suggested, using TO-220 power resistors. They are VERY hard to source and they are expensive. However, by the time I was actually able to acquire my set, I was happy to pay the ransom
biggrin.gif

I went that way because the alternative is mainly cement/wire wound resistors and I was concerned that the inductance from the resistors might impact the results- I did not/do not know if that is true but I wanted pure measurements from the dummy load and we are measuring tiny decimal points here. The TO-220's are much smaller and more fun to work with.

My last pair (330R) of TO-220's just came in from Allied (first time I had to use that source). If anyone wants to use those and has trouble sourcing them, shoot me a PM. I can dig up the part numbers.

For amps with ground channels, it is also very important to lift the ground on the amp output interconnect to the sound card. Otherwise, you will essentially end up with a non-isolated output jack, shorting out the ground channel. My dummy load has a ground lift switch, ala Tangent's, and it works well. Surprisingly there is very little apparent interference from such a "poorly designed" (by design) interconnect.

Cable placement is also very important. I had a tendency to end up with a rats nest of wallwart wires, interconnects, etc. when I do this and I get hum from the setup. Then I have to go neaten everything up until the hum bumps are minimized. Eventually I learned to set it up right, and what layouts work well and what doesn't.

Apr 26, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb

To answer your question....

I hate to admit this, but up until now (when my dummy load resistors just arrived) I used a pair of 330R VD RN55's soldered into a 1/4" headphone plug (and fits within the plug handle) that was plugged into an auxiliary jack on my dummy load. I don't recommend doing that for serious amp power testing but they survived the RMAA tests, which are not done at extreme volume/power levels.\

I would not do that with 33R's, and I would use 5 watt resistors at least if I were smart. Shortly I will have 35W resistors in my load so I am going from one extreme to the other.

If you figure 25V peak to peak across your load, which is probably the max you could get from any reasonable configuration of popular amps, then work down to the power consumption, the numbers are very reasonable:

25V PP = 8.83V RMS (call it 9V for ease)

For 33R: I = 9/33 = .270ma

P = 9 * .270 = 2.5W (ouch!)

or P= I^2 / R for simplicity

For 330R: I = 9/330 = .027ma

P = 9 * .027 = .243W (not so bad and barely within an RD55 spec - sort of)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back