Jadis
Symphony-X
Yngwie malmsteen
savatage
Dire Straits
Eric Johnson
Frank Zappa
Alan Parsons project

Wow, interesting list ... more to talk about there than in most prog rock lists that you see around. I've never heard Ghost in the Machine termed prog ... I'm going to have to think about that one.

If we're counting Sgt. Pepper, I think that it's only fair to mention Abbey Road as well, which is the most proggy Beatles albums, and reminds me that you don't have The Who on your list: Tommy and Quadrophenia have to be there! I'd also add Gentle Giant and a band that I've only discovered for myself this year: Phish. I thought that they were a jam band, but their early stuff is the purest reinvention of seventies prog that I've heard.

Jan 31, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #17 of 46
You asked for some 70's prog recommendations.

Yes

best works to audition are: Fragile, Close to the Edge, Relayer, The Yes Album, Tales from Topographic Oceans.

Emerson Lake and Palmer

Brain Salad Surgery, Tarkus, Emerson Lake and Palmer (eponymous)

Pink Floyd

The Dark Side of the Moon, Meddle, Wish You Were Here, Obscured by Clouds

Rush

2112, Caress of Steel

Camel

Snowgoose, Raindances

Mike Oldfield

Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge

Focus

Hocus Pocus

Patrick Moraz

the Story of 'I'

For modern stuff that fits with the above, cheack out a Scandinavian 5 man outfit called.

The Soundtrack of our Lives

cheers

Jan 31, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #18 of 46
Evergrey are amazing, you also should do yourself the favor of checking out Blackfield, which is a side project of Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree, also 3 (the band with a number for a name) are amazing, as well as Into Eternity. Oh yeah, and of course if you like PT Tool is always a good choice as well.

Jan 31, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #19 of 46
3 is definitely a good one, I was quite excited when I heard they would be opening for PT on the Fear of a Blank Planet tour, but I still don't really think of them as prog, there are some prog elements to it, but for the most parts they're pretty normal. But since the OP is a Porcupine Tree fan I will second the recommendation for Blackfield, much more pop-ish than PT, but still really enjoyable, I was actually listening to Blackfield II early today.

Jan 31, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #20 of 46
Spock's beard, Frost, Transatlantic, IQ, Riverside, Neil Morse, Liquid Tension Experiment, Ayeron,Blackfield, Opeth, Marillion, Iris, Kino...

Jan 31, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #21 of 46
x2 for Riverside, Anathema, Threshold, Sieges Even, Ayreon

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #22 of 46
^ nice avetar....gotta go to the start...Gentle Giant and Genesis would be the place! Takes a bit to appreciate but you will be amazed this stuff is from the 60's and 70's

Feb 1, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #23 of 46
Prog is very varied in terms of overall sound, ranging from acoustic/folk-based (Gryphon, Renaissance) to full-on Metal (Dream Theatre, Symphony X, Threshold, Vanden Plas). If you love Porcupine Tree (as do I-one of my very favorite bands-absolutely first-class Prog), you will likely find that you are a Prog fan in general and will be surprised by the number of Prog releases available (I have about 700 Prog discs and NEVER have trouble discovering new bands/albums that were previously unknown to me).

There are two excellent musicians who have done work on numerous modern Prog albums and would serve as a great starting point for you, Roine Stolt and Neal Morse. Roine is a guitarist with talents on par with those of Satriani, Petrucci, and Vai and fronts the Swedish band The Flower Kings. This band is absolutely one of the best of the best and have NAILED the elusive combination of accessable sound, penetrable lyrics, and extended-length compositions. The subject matter they focus on tends to be in the spiritually-themed realm and I find their music very uplifting. Highly recommend "Back In the World of Adventures", "Stardust We Are", and "Retropolis" as good starting points. Neil is an absolute MASTER of all things Prog, and his work with Spock's Beard is at the very top echelon of Prog. This band features a very unique sound with virtuoso levels of instrumental playing and vocals and draws upon Classical, Blues, Jazz, and Hard Rock (often all in the same song). They too, tend to write mostly about the human condition (with spiritual overtones) and have a very accessable sound which sounds very fresh and at the same time familiar. Strongly recommend "Beware of Darkness" and "Snow" as starting points. Neil's spiritual journey led him into full-fledged Christianity and he left Spock's Beard to release solo albums with Christian themes; these albums are incredible, both lyrically (the most literate, intellegent contemporary Christian lyrics I have ever heard by far) and musically (collaborates with Mike Portnoy, Kerry Livgren, Steve Hackett, and Paul Gilbert, among others). Hopefully I won't get flamed too bad, but I will say that Neil Morse's solo albums are (IMO) the overall best Prog albums of ALL TIME; these albums have everything that makes Prog great, and Neil's musicianship, compositional skills, and writing abilities are absolutely as good as anyone's (and better than most). Do not be put off in any way by the Christian lyrics-as I said they are the most intellegent I have ever heard and are in no way "preachy" or "judgemental"; I really don't think they would offend even an agnostic/atheist. Yes, I am a Neil Morse "fanboy"-he has truely given me far more (via his music) than I have given him (via album sales), and I am really greatful for his existence and musical/compositional ability. Start with "?" and "One"-if you like these then his other two "Testimony" and "Sola Scriptura" will also be essential. For something a little different, try Transatlantic-a "supergroup" consisting of Neil Morse, Roine Stolt, Mike Portnoy, and Pete Trewavas (Marillion); they released two albums (both recommended equally) which are equally brilliant (IMO).

My ways are strange
they never change
they always stay
strange ways...

Feb 2, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #24 of 46
^^^^^^@Thermonic Dude

Wow, I agree 100% with everything you said in your post. Roine and Neal have given me hours and hours of musical bliss.

I tell everyone I know who loves music about them.

Feb 3, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #26 of 46
Yeah Neal is awesome, I actually had the pleasure of seeing him live in a small venue with about only 30 other people. He was still amazing, but all he had was a keyboard, guitar, and a loop station. He was still a treat to watch. So I also agree with you

Feb 4, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #27 of 46
My favourite "old" progressive bands:
King Crimson -- pure genius, and still active!
Yes -- but they have lousy albums too.
Magma -- creators of the Zeuhl sub-genre.
Univers Zero -- expressionism á la Stravinsky/Bartók in prog form.
Camel -- very "light" prog, needs the right mood.
This Heat -- kind of post-punk/progressive rock, highly interesting.

"New" prog:
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum -- weird and compelling
Koenji Hyakkei -- japanese hyperactive Zeuhl band, incredible drummer.
Opeth -- some people (those not into metal) are put off by the growling, I love it.
Porcupine Tree -- only prog to a lesser extent, but very good nonetheless.
Tool -- amazing that a popular band can be this good.
Grayceon -- cello/guitar/drums/voice

Probably forgot some, these are just off the top of my head.

I'm generally sceptic to "neo-prog" - it sounds incredibly cheesy to my ears. I can't stand Dream Theater, either. They sadly afflict others with their DTS (Dream Theater Syndrome), too: Too much wankery, too little music. Just my opinion
tongue.gif

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #30 of 46
I can't believe it took 23 posts for somebody to mention Genesis! They're almost an essentional group IMO. Here's a short list off the top of my head.

Genesis - The Lamb Dies Down On Broadway, Selling England By The Pound
King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King, Red, The Power to Believe
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia, Deadwing (I know the OP already has PT. This is just a general recommendation)
Dream Theater - Awake, Scenes from a Memory
Immune - 1/f
Isis - Panopticon
Opeth - Ghost Reveries, Blackwater Park
dredg - El Cielo
The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium, The Bedlam in Golaith
Tool - Everything they've done is golden

That should get ya started.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back