Progressive music and its detractors
Feb 28, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #16 of 30
Russ: So, would Eloy or Saga be considered as progressive rock, too?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Anyone happen to like Grobschnitt?
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
Russ: So, would Eloy or Saga be considered as progressive rock, too?

Yes, though I'm not terribly familiar with their stuff. There are others here at head-fi far more into the progressive rock scene than I. Quote:

P.S.: Anyone happen to like Grobschnitt?
biggrin.gif

Never heard them.

Mar 1, 2002 at 4:15 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Russ Arcuri
Yes, Rush, Dream Theater, Marillion, numerous others. Many would argue that Rush or Yes aren't prog rock, and many of their albums aren't. But some Rush and Yes could be considered prog rock.

LOL, Russ. Rush and Yes define prog rock. IMHO.

DA -- yes they are (civilized here). Melikes. Will have to check out audiogon (morbid fascination).

On the plus side, the moderators at Rocky Road seem to be doing a good job of deleting this guy's posts...

Mar 1, 2002 at 4:51 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
LOL, Russ. Rush and Yes define prog rock. IMHO.

Well, I base that on the reactions I've gotten from some people, who don't consider much of Rush's or Yes's stuff "progressive." I really don't care what label people want to stick on them. I listen to what I like...
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2002 at 12:48 PM Post #20 of 30
Who would argue that Rush and Yes aren't prog rock? That'd be like saying, "I'm not sure Beethoven should be considered classical."

I'm surprised no one mentioned King Crimson, them being the champion of long ass radio unfriendly songs.

This is another opportunity for me to plug Fates Warning. If you like the bands mentioned in this thread, go buy Fates Warning A Pleasant Shade of Grey and you can beat me up later if by some absolute freak of nature you don't like it.

Mar 1, 2002 at 4:23 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Who would argue that Rush and Yes aren't prog rock? That'd be like saying, "I'm not sure Beethoven should be considered classical."

I've seen lots of debate about whether Yes and/or Rush are progressive on USENET over the past decade or so. Some people believe Rush and Yes had progressive "periods" lasting a few years, but that they can't be considered progressive bands because some of their albums don't really fit the mold.

Anyway, a quick search on google groups turns up the following, just to pick a few:

RUSH is NOT progressive

Re: Rush, Dream Theatre

YES is NOT a Progressive Rock band

Like I said, I don't really care what label people want to stick on Rush or Yes; I listen to them because I like the music.

Mar 1, 2002 at 6:25 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Russ Arcuri
I've seen lots of debate about whether Yes and/or Rush are progressive on USENET over the past decade or so...Anyway, a quick search on google groups turns up the following, just to pick a few...

Yes, but these people are clearly insane. The first one is an obvious troll, due to the fact that he refers to R.E.M. and Depeche Mode as Progressive (I think he's confusing "Progressive" with "Alternative"). The second one contradicts himself by citing Rush as an influence on a definitely progressive band, and the third one is more arguing the "rock" part of "progressive rock", which I totally agree with, I only call it progressive.

Sorry, not arguing with you, arguing with them...I think most people would agree that Yes and Rush, especially during their peak moments, epitomized progressive music. I wouldn't doubt that there are doubters -- there are doubters about every topic on the Internet, some more vocal than others, some more vocal than the proponents -- but that doesn't make them right.

Mar 1, 2002 at 6:48 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

I think most people would agree that Yes and Rush, especially during their peak moments, epitomized progressive music.

I couldn't agree more!
Rush's Signals to me defines prog.

Shouldn't this part be under Music?

Mar 2, 2002 at 2:43 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Yes is a prog band, and so is Rush. That might be the dumbest debate ever to think otherwise!

Well -- just to be clear about this -- I don't think there's any debate here. I consider them both progressive. But there are people who don't -- who have not participated here. I only brought them up as a point of interest.

Mar 2, 2002 at 10:37 AM Post #26 of 30
hmm, missed something...what has prog to do with banned people? couldn't find any prog references in the mentioned thread??
confused.gif

Mar 2, 2002 at 11:22 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
hmm, missed something...what has prog to do with banned people? couldn't find any prog references in the mentioned thread??
confused.gif

Find and read the original thread, "Has Head-Fi Ever Banned"? This thread and that one used to be the same thread, so it's probably easier to read them as one. Not sure why it got split up, other than we started discussing prog, so maybe someone felt it should be moved into the Music area.

Mar 2, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #28 of 30
ah, I see it now, cool.

Yes and Rush not prog...kinda funny thing to say, cause that would throw the entire genre upside-down
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2002 at 12:51 AM Post #29 of 30
prog:

King Crimson
Spock's Beard
Dream Theater
Gong
Henry Cow
Bozzio Levin Stevens
(early) Genesis
Gentle Giant
Holger Czukay