Progressing my PC Audio (Newbie alert)
May 3, 2009 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Preacherdaniel

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone ,

I have been reading the forums for over 1 month ever since I ordered my Sennheiser HD25's.

I was listening to them with my on-board SC and got a hiss, so I installed my Creative Soundblaster Live ! from my old Dell 8250 , and I got no hiss.
smile.gif

I was wondering what does the USB-DAC do that defers from the sound card 1/8 output. I am willing to invest in one , if it will improve my sound from my current headphones..

Thanks,
Preacher

May 4, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #3 of 8
iono wut are the current favorites, but i use an emu 0404 usb, and it works great with my hd25-1... i use the 1/4" plug tho

May 4, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #4 of 8
Update, my friend gave me his JVC RX-884P Receiver , and it drives my headphones just great
smily_headphones1.gif

Please check my set-up (if it is safe) etc..

Soundblaster Live ! -> Receiver -> Headphone 1/4 Out .

Thanks everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 8
A DAC will in most cases be superior to your sound card. A big plus is that since it is not anywhere in your PC it is not as sensitive to RFI as a sound card is.
Keep in mind though that if you were to buy a DAC you will also need an amp.

May 4, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 8
Well I was looking a USB-DAC's on eBay , and that's a last resort.
*They include an amp*
What I need I confirmation for is:

1. My SC (creative soundblaster live to my JVC RX-884P Receiver is it safe, listening through the 1/4 output ?)
2. I connected my headphones and at high volumes I get a wammmm sound , at about 57/90. Is that normal ?

May 5, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 8
yes, it is "safe" to connect headphones to a reciever, but its not going to sound as good as a dedicated amp will

im not sure what you mean by the "wammmm sound" and "57/90", but no, it doesnt sound normal

May 5, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 8
Your using You SB Live to drive the analog inputs of the Receiver, then your using the headphone out on the receiver for your headphones.

This is all fine...

You may want to check out the KX drivers for that SB Live, They are a bit hard to learn but they give much better sound quality with that card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back