Programs with Dolby Headphone support?
Mar 30, 2006 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Paendrag

New Head-Fier
Lo all. I've been searching for a program with good Dolby Headphone support for a while now, and I thought I would ask here (and share my experiences). I've tested three programs thus far, and these are my experiences:

Nvidia PureVideo Decoder: The Dolby Headphone mode works, but only on DVDs or mpeg-2 video streams. This does not work well for me since I often watch / encode stuff to xvid.

PowerDVD: Dolby Headphone has worked with everything I have tried, so there is no problem there. The problem is that I absolutely hate everything else with this player. It consumes extreme amounts of resources (3-4x that of Mediaplayer Classic), which is a problem, since I can't activate deinterlacing without the video being choppy once in a while (this is with 1080i mpeg-2 streams), and it is generally hellish to use IMO.

WinDVD: I have only gotten Dolby Headphone to work with DVDs with this program. Neither mpeg-2 streams nor xvid files would work with Dolby Headphone.

As you can see I have not found a program that works well. I for one find it amazing how bad PowerDVD (and to some extent WinDVD) has been for me. VLC mediaplayer or Mediaplayer Classic are much better programs, except only for Dolby Headphone support. Does anyone know of any other good programs that has the good implementation of PowerDVD, while being a better overall player. I really really don't want to be stuck with PowerDVD...

Thanks for any help / insight
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi

it is possible to use the AC3 decoder of PowerDVD including the Dolby Headphone filter with other media-players. I'm currently using it with Zoomplayer. Setting up customized media playback you should be able to use the Cyberlink filters for Dolby Digital audio tracks. What I can't get to work is DTS decoding with Dolby Headphone.

Good luck

Mar 31, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #3 of 7
Foobar has a 0.8.3 dolby headphone plugin and the creator of it is currently porting it to 0.9. I can't wait, using WinDVD to play music sucks.

Apr 15, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 7
Hi,
I'm resurrecting this thread again.

I came back from China with a mitt-full of great music DVDs encoded in 5.1.

Is there a way to make VLC or Media Player Classic support Dolby Headphone?

I have the Dolby Headphone DLL and use it in foobar, and like it quite a bit with my CDs.

Thanks, hoping someone has figured this out. A couple hours with Google and no luck yet.

Apr 15, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the dll from InterVideo DVD 7 Plat.

Thanks Assorted. I found the Dolby headphone dll. But how do you actually use it to enable Dolby headphone in either MP Classic, or VLC?

I tried droppng DolpyHph.dll into VLCs plugins folder but the option doesn't turn up in any menu and I can't hear it working.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back