Program to convert FLAC files?
Nov 23, 2008 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Want to convert FLAC files to MP$'s to be used in iTunes.
Suggestions on a reliable, free program?

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 17
I tried to convert one of my FLAC files to mp4 in Foobar2000. It can do it, but it needs to .exe of Nero to function. Because I don't have Nero, I couldn't do it.

You could try downloading a trial of Nero and locating its .exe in Foobar. Shouldn't be too tricky.

But why mp4? Why coming from FLAC? And why use iTunes? Because you're using an iPod? Or because you're limited on hard disk space?

I just ask because I listen to FLAC files that I converted from uncompressed originals, and in Foobar, I control the DSP chain. I have a hard time believing you'll get better sound in iTunes.

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 17
But LAME is for mp3, not mp4, correct?

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 17
I use dbpoweramp to convert to WAV files and then transfer them to itunes and convert to apple lossless for my ipod. I've been using it for a few years now, but dbpoweramp is not free, i think its ten or twenty bucks. I have probably converted over a hundred gigs of music though because there are free flac downloads of my favorite music so it was worth it to get all those cd quality files and play them on my ipod for free even it it did cost a little for the program. edit-wait i reread the question, you are going to convert those lossless files to mp3s-what! ouch.

Nov 23, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #9 of 17
I highly recommend Max.
smile.gif

Free (open-source) audio CD ripper and converter. Supporting all of the most popular codecs/format.

Nov 23, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I highly recommend Max.
smile.gif

Free (open-source) audio CD ripper and converter. Supporting all of the most popular codecs/format.

Max requires Mac OS.

Nov 23, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Max requires Mac OS.

...and Foobar(2000) requires MS Windows.

Nov 23, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #12 of 17
I second Foobar for everything. It can decode FLAC and it sounds great.
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #14 of 17
I figured out how to do this, but I cannot get one thing to work correctly.

I am using foobar v0.8.3, and I have set up the output file formating to be

\[%artist%]\[%album%]\[%track%. ]%title%

but I can't get the track number to write correctly to the file. Can someone help me?

Edit: Here are my settings

Do they seem fine?

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #15 of 17
I use DBpoweramp, works well for my uses. Although I do FLAC to ALAC now that I have the ol' iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back