Program that Edits audio files (ie FLAC or MP3)
Nov 9, 2008 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Lew

New Head-Fier
Hi, does anyone know any programs that edits audio files such as FLAC or MP3 or even WAV? I have a file with around 5 minutes of dead silence at the end of the track.

A friend of mine recommended Audacity, I haven't tried it myself yet. Is this bit-perfect and not affect the audio quality overall, like the front music part of the file?

Nov 9, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #2 of 8
Audicity is a good program, but layout is not the easiest. You can also use nero wave editor if you have nero in your computer, which is pretty good for simple techniques. Nero waveeditor doesn't support flac, but audicity does.

Now if you do not want to lose the sound quality, then don't make changes to the shapes of the waves, if you are only cutting portion of the waves it'll be fine. So either cut the wave/losssless file and save it as wave/lossless, or save the mp3 back to wave/lossless to not lose the quality. If you are editting the mp3 file and save it again as mp3, then the song will be transcoded (recompressed) and quality might be lost.

Both Winamp and Foobar2000 has skip silience plugins that skip signals that are below a preset decibel range.

Nov 9, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, does anyone know any programs that edits audio files such as FLAC or MP3 or even WAV? I have a file with around 5 minutes of dead silence at the end of the track.

A friend of mine recommended Audacity, I haven't tried it myself yet. Is this bit-perfect and not affect the audio quality overall, like the front music part of the file?

I think the (PCM) "WAV" is the only editable data type ... those others, which ones you mentioned, are encoded data so you need to decode to WAV format before you be able to edit. This just means that it's not recommend to edit lossy files as like the mp3 file is and then encode it back to lossy format.

jiitee

Nov 9, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jiiteepee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the (PCM) "WAV" is the only editable data type ... those others, which ones you mentioned, are encoded data so you need to decode to WAV format before you be able to edit.

Yup, Audacity will do this transparently though, so no manual decoding to WAV is needed.

If it's from a CD I'd recommend leaving it as is though, that silence will take up almost no space compressed as FLAC, and you can use a skip silence plug-in like terrymx suggested if you want. Plus I think things should be kept as they are on the CD... but that's my opinion.

Nov 9, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #5 of 8
x2 on Audacity.
Nice free cross-platform audio editor.

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by vegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, Audacity will do this transparently though, so no manual decoding to WAV is needed.

If it's from a CD I'd recommend leaving it as is though, that silence will take up almost no space compressed as FLAC, and you can use a skip silence plug-in like terrymx suggested if you want. Plus I think things should be kept as they are on the CD... but that's my opinion.

Agreed 100%.

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #7 of 8
I forgot to mention this, you could load the original songs from the cd to foobar2000 and use it to convert them to songs without silence trails. To do so, right click on the songs and use the 'convert' option to encode your music. In the 'convert' menu, there is an option for adding 'DSP/Processing', add one of the skip silence plugin to it. It's pretty useful because you can add other effects that you want.

Nov 10, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 8
For lossy files: Mp3Splt. From the description:

Mp3Splt is a command line utility to split MP3 (VBR supported) and Ogg Vorbis files into smaller files without decoding. Useful for splitting albums, either manually, using freedb.org data, or .cue files and for splitting based on length or on periods of silence in the file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back