prog rock/metal suggestions
Mar 1, 2007 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

keanej6

500+ Head-Fier
i'm looking for a prog rock/metal album that'll keep my headphones on through the whole disc. i'm a little bored and need something new to pop in.

here's a little background of what i listen to. I'm pretty much split between metal and instrumental post rock....mostly metal in my car and post rock with headphones. i listen to everything from the disgustingly dirty pig-squealing gore-grind to the slow dark orchestral doom metal, to the beautiful and complex folk metal. As far as post rock goes, i mostly am attracted to instrumental bands (explosions in the sky, grails, etc.) but if i like the vocals, then i'll listen to it. I'm really picky when it comes to vocals actually now that i think about it.

i'm looking for an album that is refreshing and 'out there', yet not so 'out there' that it's just plain wierd. Something that bridges my metal collection and my post-rockish collection...sometimes i find headphones too engaging for metal and the instrumental to be a little too sleepy late at night. I'm looking for something comparable to Estradasphere's "Palace of Mirrors", not necessarily in the musical sense (yet i won't mind if it is because i absolutely love that cd) but just as 'out there' but still beautiful and musical and interesting to listen to.

any recommendations are welcome but i'm primarily looking at you, asmox, enverxis, and darkangel (as i think you guys have good taste)
cool.gif
thanks.

Mar 1, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 44
Pelican: Austrailasia
The Mars Volta: Deloused at the Comatorium
Mogwai: Mr. Beast

Mar 1, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 44
here's a few off the top of my head, that have progressive elements and are somewhat interesting in their own way.

Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Aghora - Aghora
Alchemist - Organasm
Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies
Atrox - Terrestrials
Augury - Concealed
Boris - Akuma No Uta
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Enslaved - Monumension
Forgotten Silence - Ka Ba Ach
The Gathering - Home
Gordian Knot - Emergent
Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death
Lumsk - Troll
Madder Mortem - Desiderata
Maudlin of the Well - Bath
Maudlin of the Well - Leaving Your Body Map
Melechesh - Emissaries
Moonlight - Yaishi
Moonsorrow - V: Hävitetty
Naamah - Resensement
Opeth - Damnation
Paatos - Timeloss
Ram-Zet - Intra
Subterranean Masquerade - Suspended Animation Dreams
To-Mera - Transcendental
Virgin Black - Elegant ...and Dying

Mar 1, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 44
Shining - Grindstone - This should be your first album to check out, I think. It's out there alright... (...).

Electrocution 250 - Electric Cartoon Music From Hell - Imagine Bumblefoot and Spastic Ink... on massive speed and with an even stricter "music must be fun" ideology.

Hammers of Misfortune - The Locust Years - Original, unique prog rock. None of that neo-retro stuff you're probably bored to death of.

Gordian Knot - Emergent - Chances are you've heard this, but I'll recommend it anyway.

Behold... the Arctopus - Nano-Nucleonic Cyborg Summoning - You've probably heard this too, but @#$%... it's mind-blowing.

Atrox - Orgasm - Kate Bush does metal?

Bubblemath - Such Fine Particles of the Universe - Fun, intelligent, progressive art rock with a drummer that plays like Frank Zappa's hellspawn. Definitely something to love here for an Estradasphere fan.

Koenjihyakkei - Angherr Shisspa - Hey, it's the mastermind behind Ruins playing operatic jazz/prog rock. Awesome. Out there.

Phlebotomized - Immense Intense Suspense - The best symphonic death metal album you've never heard.

!T.O.O.H.! - Order and Punishment - Come on... their name stands for Total Obliteration of Humanity... that's gotta be worth a listen
rs1smile.gif

uneXpect - In a Flesh Aquarium - Mentioned above. Schizophrenic awesomeness.

Gojira - From Mars to Sirius - Devin Townsend meets Morbid Angel... and sings about nature.

Yowie - Cryptooology - The ultimate math rock LOL... this is wild.

maudlin of the Well - Bath / Leaving Your Body Map - Music from the astral plane of dreams (or so they say).

Mar 1, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #7 of 44
lets see progressive metal that doesn't suck (or sound like power rangers).....

Asmox is really into this stuff, and Nacher and Enverxis also swim in these waters.
lmilhan has an interesting list, he should visit us at darkest desires

This is not really my strong suite but I will give some suggestions.
I know from previous threads here you already have the good mainstream post rock stuff like: Neurosis, Isis, Tool, Kyuss etc

Agalloch - everything
Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies, Masquerade Infernal, Sham Mirrors
Borknager - everything
Cruachan - Pagan, Tuatha Na Gael, Folk Lore (celtic folk metal)
Cult of Luna - somewhere down the highway + ?
Elend - everything
Enslaved - Mardraum, Ruun, Isa, Below the lights
Haggard - Eppur Si Muove, Thou Shalt Trust, Awakening the Centuries
In the Woods - Heart of the Ages
Madder Mortum -
Novembre - Novembrine Waltz, Classica
Opeth - Ghost reveries (most progressive album)
Porcupine Tree - in absentia
Shape of Despair - Angels of Distress, Shades of (godly doom anthems)
Summoning - (dark tomes of the middle earth)
Devin Townsend - Synchestra, Terria, Ocean Machine
Ulver - Kveldssanger, Bergtatt
Virgin Black - Elegant and Dying, Somber Romantic

Mar 1, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #12 of 44
cool cool thanks all. between me and my brother, we own/have heard about half of what you guys mentioned, but i'll for sure check out the other half. thaaaaaaanks.

asmox, i appreciate the little descriptions after your recommendations. i like that.

Mar 1, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Enverxis

Dude, you remind me of Devin Townsend in that avatar pic!

Hahah, although in reality I'm a short, skinny, girly looking guy with long hair so I probably fail on all accounts minus the hair
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by keanej6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
asmox, i appreciate the little descriptions after your recommendations. i like that.

Yeah, I always forget to do that, either because I'm so used to just Metal-Archives / Rateyourmusic searching every artist or I'm just lazy.

Mar 1, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by keanej6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm looking for an album that is refreshing and 'out there', yet not so 'out there' that it's just plain wierd. Something that bridges my metal collection and my post-rockish collection...sometimes i find headphones too engaging for metal and the instrumental to be a little too sleepy late at night. I'm looking for something comparable to Estradasphere's "Palace of Mirrors", not necessarily in the musical sense (yet i won't mind if it is because i absolutely love that cd) but just as 'out there' but still beautiful and musical and interesting to listen to.

I would try:

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Of Natural History
Time of Orchids - Early as Seen in Pace or Sarcast While

Unexpect is a good recommendation but maybe a little too metal based on what you said above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back