Prog-house, anyone?
Apr 11, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 4
They still make prog house? :p

Seriously, I have about 3 crates of the stuff from 2000-2005. There was some truly great music released in the various periods - I saw the sound go from dark and tribal to bright and melodic and then to synthetic and minimal. Some highlights:

-James Holden's entire catalog, especially his brilliant Balance 005 DJ mix as well as countless productions.
-Habersham's tough, complex yet incredibly groovy beats - in my opinion he was the most skilled producer to tackle more house-y side of prog.
-Trentemoller - he's evolved into a very versatile producer but he started out basically making tech house. His Last Resort album has that influence on it quite strongly.
-John Digweed, Chris Fortier, Deep Dish, Dave Seaman, James Zabiela, Sasha, Steve Lawler, Anthony Pappa and countless other DJs
-Satoshi Tomiie's GU Nu Breed 006 mix, which was one of my favorite examples of the early 2000s 'dark house' sound.

This brings back memories...I recorded probably half a dozen progressive DJ mixes in 03-05.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #4 of 4
I really love progressive house. I really like Deadmau5 ALOT. I saw him in Austin a few months ago and he really blew me away. His new album For Lack of a Better Name really has some great tracks, standards like Ghosts n Stuff and the new favorite Strobe. I'd have to say though that when he played the opening track on the album damn, it really was the highlight. That song on a good system is deep as hell. Other house that I've just recently gotten in to...16 bit Lolitas are very good, as well as James Grant & Jaytech. Those are just a few that I've recently found out about, mostly off of Above & Beyond's alter label Anjunadeep, which strictly caters to house beats. I'd suggest Anjunadeep Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 for some great progressive house mixes. That's what got me into it and I'm loving every minute of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back