Profound experience with Arvo Part, now looking for additional suggestions for modern Classical...
Jul 13, 2009 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Thermionic Dude

Head-Fier
I am a long-time fan of Classical music and Opera (slightly favor Romantic period orchestral works but enjoy everything from early polyphony through the early 20th century neo-classical stuff), but am only just now "cracking" some of the more challenging works composed over the past 15-25 years.

I was recently inspired to revisit Part due to a post here extolling the virtues of "Tabula Rasa", and like the poster of the thread, I had a very profound experience; the music is just magical-the increasing silence with increasing melodic complexity just has an effect on me I can't put into words! I had a similar response after listening to "Passio", and am now getting my hands on every recorded Part performance I can, and wish I could somehow communicate my gratitude directly to Mr. Part for creating this amazing music!

I have listened in the past to Part (including "Tabula Rasa") as well as numerous other modern composers (some well-known, some more obscure), and while interesting at times, have never heard anything that really touched me on a visceral or emotional level. (Perhaps I just need to give some of the pieces a few more listens before deciding they don't "speak" to me? This is basically what happened with Part.)

What other composers should I be listening to in order to achieve a similarly profound and rewarding listening experience? (Or is Part just THAT unique and special?)

Jul 13, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 3
Try Max Richter's first two albums (Memoryhouse/The Blue Notebooks). They have a similar emotive quality, although I'm not sure if the composition style will be similar enough to achieve a similar listening experience.

Jul 13, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermionic Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a long-time fan of Classical music and Opera (slightly favor Romantic period orchestral works but enjoy everything from early polyphony through the early 20th century neo-classical stuff), but am only just now "cracking" some of the more challenging works composed over the past 15-25 years.

I was recently inspired to revisit Part due to a post here extolling the virtues of "Tabula Rasa", and like the poster of the thread, I had a very profound experience; the music is just magical-the increasing silence with increasing melodic complexity just has an effect on me I can't put into words! I had a similar response after listening to "Passio", and am now getting my hands on every recorded Part performance I can, and wish I could somehow communicate my gratitude directly to Mr. Part for creating this amazing music!

I have listened in the past to Part (including "Tabula Rasa") as well as numerous other modern composers (some well-known, some more obscure), and while interesting at times, have never heard anything that really touched me on a visceral or emotional level. (Perhaps I just need to give some of the pieces a few more listens before deciding they don't "speak" to me? This is basically what happened with Part.)

What other composers should I be listening to in order to achieve a similarly profound and rewarding listening experience? (Or is Part just THAT unique and special?)

I am the OP of the most recent Tabual Rasa thread...
Have you heard his 3rd Symphony? It is the most moving piece of music I have ever heard. All three movements are astounding and I will go so far to say it might be one of the greatest pieces of music that I have ever heard. I for one am looking for more music like it.

Have you heard Goreckis 3rd Symphony?

You might also want to try Glass's Violin Concertos; very hypnotic, powerful and sometimes very emotive as well.

Lastly, have you tried anything by Ludovico Einaudi? Brilliant modern piano composer who writes exceptionally moving yet simplistic pieces. Start with "Divenire".

Let me know what you find b/c we are in the same boat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back