Profire 2626 as headphone amp?
Oct 21, 2008 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Jeff Graw

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. I'm running an HD-650 through a Total Bithead, and I've been wanting to upgrade to a high end amp for a long time, but haven't been able to justify the huge jump in price. Separately, I've been thinking of getting an M-audio Profire 2626, a truly beastly looking interface, for recording drums, and since I work at a music store that sells them, I can get one at a great price. Now, I'm wondering if I can kill two birds with one stone, and have the Profire double as a headphone amp. What, if any, improvement might that be over the bithead? Suggestions for other amp/DAC combos are also welcome, preferably not more than $600.

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 2
I use a ProFire 610 (which is supposed to based of the 2626 but in a smaller box with fewer pres/inputs).  I use it with my HD600's and am very happy with the quality.  The DA conversion is nice and the 610 drives the HD600's with a little more power and a lot more clarity than the headphone out.  I recently also tried a DarkVoice 332 which is great and drives the HD600's well but I really find some of the levels unlistenable.  I do have to max the 610, but its solid at that level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back