Production programs?
Jul 20, 2014 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

JJJMan75

Head-Fier
I recently started making edm some time this year. While I'm mostly satisfied with my music, it doesn't sound as professional as I would like. I think this is because I use Caustic 3 for Android. I've tried FL and Massive, but they're too complex for me. Any recommendations on a new program to use?

*if it helps, my tracks are here: https://soundcloud.com/an75

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #4 of 12
I recently started making edm some time this year. While I'm mostly satisfied with my music, it doesn't sound as professional as I would like. I think this is because I use Caustic 3 for Android. I've tried FL and Massive, but they're too complex for me. Any recommendations on a new program to use?

*if it helps, my tracks are here: https://soundcloud.com/an75

I listened to a bunch of your songs. I'm no expert but had a midi-studio in the late 1990s. I think your music shows you are having fun. I liked the retro movie feel of Takedown. That song yearns for a real bass line!

Anyway in a few areas the notes need quantified into a closer time to the beat. Only in slight places I thought you needed quantification. The fact that the music is made on a phone is nothing short of amazing.

I would suggest getting Reason for a Mac or PC. The Propellerhead software will take you into another direction of quality. Due to the electro feel of your style you will love having access to the synth sounds and freedom. The program can grow with you too, if a time comes when you want to add sound microphone recording you can. It also can sync with a bunch of other programs out there if you choose.

Reason can sound wet at times and there is ways around that ( tube filters ) but see if you like the overall sound. You can download a demo and plug in demo songs if you want to hear it before making your own songs. I am no expert in emulations of a old Roland drum machines. We used to use Rebirth for it years ago. You can find that program now as it is free. Your music style asks to be used with classic drum machines to get that 1980s sound you have naturally.

Here.
https://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason/

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #5 of 12
I've heard of Ableton before, but I haven't tried it. How does its interface compare to FL?

My experience is with FL. I've played around with Ableton a bit, but never used it in earnest. Initial impressions were that it was a pretty intuitive interface (and it's probably improved since I last looked at it too) that wouldn't take long to get up and running with. I just suggested it because a lot of pros use it and you mentioned that you wanted your music to sound more pro - same is true of FL though; they're both widely used in the industry.

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #6 of 12
Looks like Rebirth is back too!

https://www.propellerheads.se/products/rebirth/

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #7 of 12
I listened to a bunch of your songs. I'm no expert but had a midi-studio in the late 1990s. I think your music shows you are having fun. I liked the retro movie feel of Takedown. That song yearns for a real bass line!

Anyway in a few areas the notes need quantified into a closer time to the beat. Only in slight places I thought you needed quantification. The fact that the music is made on a phone is nothing short of amazing.

I would suggest getting Reason for a Mac or PC. The Propellerhead software will take you into another direction of quality. Due to the electro feel of your style you will love having access to the synth sounds and freedom. The program can grow with you too, if a time comes when you want to add sound microphone recording you can. It also can sync with a bunch of other programs out there if you choose.

Reason can sound wet at times and there is ways around that ( tube filters ) but see if you like the overall sound. You can download a demo and plug in demo songs if you want to hear it before making your own songs. I am no expert in emulations of a old Roland drum machines. We used to use Rebirth for it years ago. You can find that program now as it is free. Your music style asks to be used with classic drum machines to get that 1980s sound you have naturally.

Here.
https://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason/

Wow, I really appreciate the detailed response! Thank you, I'll be sure to check out Reason when I get to my desktop.

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #8 of 12
Wow, I really appreciate the detailed response! Thank you, I'll be sure to check out Reason when I get to my desktop.

There is a section of theme music for Blade Runner floating around on the internet in midi file form. So Reason is fun in that you can take a midi song import it and add your choice of synths like in a complete studio. The PC running form of Reason would integrate with Rebirth. I don't know if it still does as it looks like Rebirth is only for the IPad. Still you may be able to find an old PC copy of Rebirth which was given out free by Propellerhead and integrate it with a new copy of Reason.

You would use Rebith just for how those retro drum machines and bass modules work together. Still you can also find complete retro drum and bass sounds to use with Reason alone. Reason does everything. It is expensive though. The most expensive software I ever purchased.

It is $399.00

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #9 of 12
So I tried out Reason a bit, and it seems pretty complicated next to Caustic. Caustic had a learning curve of about 4-5 days for me, not sure if Reason will take longer for me to fully grasp. I have a decent idea of how the Redrum drum computer works, and I'm trying to get my head around Thor using my past experience with Caustic's PCSynth and SubSynth. So far, I've created a simple looping tune (haven't figured out how to arrange patterns though, A2 needs to play automatically after A1). I think this will be much harder to learn than Caustic. Do you know of any helpful tutorial videos? Is anyone familiar with both Caustic and Reason?

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #10 of 12
So I tried out Reason a bit, and it seems pretty complicated next to Caustic. Caustic had a learning curve of about 4-5 days for me, not sure if Reason will take longer for me to fully grasp. I have a decent idea of how the Redrum drum computer works, and I'm trying to get my head around Thor using my past experience with Caustic's PCSynth and SubSynth. So far, I've created a simple looping tune (haven't figured out how to arrange patterns though, A2 needs to play automatically after A1). I think this will be much harder to learn than Caustic. Do you know of any helpful tutorial videos? Is anyone familiar with both Caustic and Reason?

Reason has some tutorials in Computer Music Magazine. They teach it at Universities. I know it can be hard at first. I spent years and years with it. Just remember that after a while that you will be surprised how much you can do. It can be hard or simple to use. You can spend the rest of your life with it, only.

The thing is that after a while you will outgrow some of the more simple programs. Reason is easy compared to some like Reactor. I thought the synths were easy. You can also just load and play samples if you want to keep it simple. Still Reason is not for everyone.

I don't know what they say the normal learning curve is. You could research and find out what folks think. It may be six months?

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #11 of 12
Thank you for your help. I'll probably post a followup thread in the future if/when I am able to effectively produce with Reason. Also, I highly recommend trying out Caustic for Android and iOS devices. Even if you already have a more capable desktop program, it's useful if you get an idea away from home.

Jul 26, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #12 of 12
Thank you for your help. I'll probably post a followup thread in the future if/when I am able to effectively produce with Reason. Also, I highly recommend trying out Caustic for Android and iOS devices. Even if you already have a more capable desktop program, it's useful if you get an idea away from home.

Yes, I will. I always like trying new programs. I only really play guitar now days. But mess with a couple computer programs now and then. Simple is really cool!

It will be exciting if you take a liking to Reason. Interesting to hear what you end up doing with it. I know it is a pain in the ass sometimes. I have spent many a night with it while the wife was sleeping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back