Product/Design Update Request
Apr 9, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #16 of 44
I'd certainly not be interested in 24/96 since I do feel that you need really good cans and gear to tell the difference between 24/96 and regular 16/44 music. USB would deliver the latter just fine from a laptop standpoint. I think it's about practical compromise in otherwise compromising circumstance, i.e., the portable or semiportable environs.

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by markkr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, (and you know what they say about opinions...) People who buy a product like the Bithead, do so because they can't (or dont want to) pay for a portable solution, a work/desk solution, a bedside solution,etc... they want EVERYTHING in a small package that works everywhere. Just my 2 cents.

Isn't the Bithead a portable solution?? Aren't portable solutions generally quite reasonably priced compared to the non-portable offerings?

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamey Warren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I would certainly like an optical input to go with my MacBook but size and cost always come into play when developing products. That's not to say that it can't be done.

Rechargeable battery is high on my list of requirements.

I like the idea of a metal case. Something about machined aluminum that makes me go ooohhhhhh...

How important is 24/96 to you in a product at this price range and size?

Do you think you would use a new BitHead with both a computer and a portable audio player or would it make more sense to have separate units? Where do you see yourself most often using a new BitHead? With a computer or portable music player?

when I first bought the total airhead (my first amp) the main porpose was to use it with the PK1 earphones on the go, O also got the sepcial micro bag to go with it,but I realised that I prefer to not carry an amp on the go...it was not very comfortable with operation. the portable+PK2 (were bought right after) are much preferable for me.
but I did used it at home a few time until I got the ultra micro, since than it is resting aside. maybe some people like to carry a portable rig with them.

don't know about the chargable batteries...can't say. I have a special charger for my rechargable batteries and than i used them with the airhead.

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't the Bithead a portable solution?? Aren't portable solutions generally quite reasonably priced compared to the non-portable offerings?

What I was trying to say there was people want an all-in-one solution. I believe that the Bithead is a product thats primarily marketed at people that do not want to purchase multiple kits for different listening situations.

Sorry for the confusion

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

that's the case usually. they must be cheaper cause they don't perform the same as non-portable amps.

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

I'd certainly not be interested in 24/96 since I do feel that you need really good cans and gear to tell the difference between 24/96 and regular 16/44 music. USB would deliver the latter just fine from a laptop standpoint. I think it's about practical compromise in otherwise compromising circumstance, i.e., the portable or semiportable environs.

100% agree with the 24/96 statement and good cans, BUT to stay competitive with other companies producing similar products (and including Toslink ports) Its my opinion that it should be included to draw the "audiophile" crowds attention as well.

Again this is all just my opinion, I'm in no way a marketing person... just a consumer and long time customer of Headroom.

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamey Warren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think you would use a new BitHead with both a computer and a portable audio player or would it make more sense to have separate units? Where do you see yourself most often using a new BitHead? With a computer or portable music player?

If you're able to cut costs by having only one unit, that would be my preference. I dont carry an amp "on the go" just my iPod and headphones. I would only use the amp with a computer or larger source.

It would be cool if you could have modular units. Maybe a base headphone amp unit that you can add the DAC to by removing the bottom plate and snapping on a DAC unit... think of a laptop docking station scenario...

Apr 9, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #23 of 44
+ 1 for rechargeable batteries. NuForce Icon Mobile is the amp I would really watch out for right now. Basically a bithead for $100. Maybe not as good but for ~40% less that's substantial.

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #24 of 44
Thanks for all the great input guys. I'll be dreaming up new gear this weekend so keep your ideas coming.

Cheers,
beerchug.gif

Jamey

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

100% agree with the 24/96 statement and good cans, BUT to stay competitive with other companies producing similar products (and including Toslink ports) Its my opinion that it should be included to draw the "audiophile" crowds attention as well.

Again this is all just my opinion, I'm in no way a marketing person... just a consumer and long time customer of Headroom.

Actually, you make a very strong point. It's not about what's practical or reasonable, but about what the consumer would be lured by. The small form factor amps so often underperform, and yet, they are so popular. It's what the consumer wants.

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #26 of 44
Jamey,

I have one more suggestion...

The new amp should be FREE for everyone that contributed to this thread!

Keep up the GREAT work!!

bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Jamey,

I have one more suggestion...

The new amp should be FREE for everyone that contributed to this thread!

Keep up the GREAT work!!

bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

I'm up for that
smile.gif
headroom can test the new gear on us.

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #28 of 44
I would just like it so when I have the Total Bithead plugged in to my USB, I could have rechargeable batteries installed that would actually increase the power, and not have the only power come from the USB, which is not always sufficient.

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #29 of 44
Hi All,

Thanks for the awesome comments. Keep 'em coming!
smily_headphones1.gif

Just as an aside, we do get LOTS of DAC questions inquiring about 24/96 USB capability so it seems to be a feature many listeners appear interested in.

(btw, HDTracks offers some pretty good 24/96 USB files)
evil_smiley.gif

Cheers,
jorge
HR Service & Sales Manager

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #30 of 44
Well, if both Heads can be upgraded without raising the cost too much, do it. Better op-amp, better caps, hey.
The plastic casing is fine. This kind of plastic don't feel cheap. I, however, would like the the input ant output jacks to be on the same side (since if you line-out an iPod you'd have to route the cable all the way back there).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back