Producing electronic music: Under 200 cans that dont color sound but will thump when asked to: HD 25 II or MDR 7506/V6?
Aug 8, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #16 of 31
Thats the only one I have really been considering. I thought the different beyers had vastly different sound?

I think its down to either the ATHM50 , the KRK 8400 , Shure 840, or something else? I need neutrality with bass potential, is the easiest way to describe it.

That's the only one I wouldn't recommend because it's not neutral. It has more bass and less treble than any other Beyer.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:
Any Beyerdynamic DT-7/8/9** will do you well, as long as it isn't the DT770 Pro 80ohm.

If I had to pick a Beyer out of that range, I would go with the DT880 

Quote:

Thats the only one I have really been considering. I thought the different beyers had vastly different sound?

I think its down to either the ATHM50 , the KRK 8400 , Shure 840, or something else? I need neutrality with bass potential, is the easiest way to describe it.

M50: decent choice, bass does a funny wobble
8400: too bassy, the 6400 is more neutral
840: again not neutral, the 940 is better here

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #18 of 31

If this person is going to be doing the majority of their mixing on a near-field monitor system, than the M50s are a great reference can for his needs. I would never recommend them for mixing without a near-field setup, however, because the soundstaging abilities of the M50 are really bad. It has severe closed-can syndrome when it comes to the soundstage.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #19 of 31
If he needs isolation, the HD280 isn't a bad choice either. Possibly the best I've heard for isolation in any class, and I find it slightly more neutral across the mid/treble range, but it too starts to behave oddly in the typical closed can fashion once you reach the bass. Clamps like mad too, but that's part of the isolation. 

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:
I thought the q40s were bass heavy? Anyway, I'd recommend the MDR ma900, and hd25.

They are, but they aren't as colored as your typical bassy V-shaped headphone. I'll admit, I read the topic title, made sure nobody said Q40's first, then posted. If the OP has changed his mind from originally wanting headphones that can "thump" to ones that don't, ignore my recommendation :)

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #23 of 31
Just got the CAD MH310 in and I have to say, its not half bad. With a simple sine wave oscillator in ableton, they reached comfortably into 40 hz (sub bass territory) with significant volume. 

I plan on acquiring vmoda 100s to satisfy my craving for a basshead LISTENING can. The monitor headphones need to keep the bass reserved until the signal is actually pushing it. When I A/B with my K181DJ, I can definitely hear how the DJ thickens up the sound. 

As for the KRK 8400, I have heard they are really bass light on their own already! Can they really be that bass heavy?

Looks like Im gonna have to acquire some used headphones and flip a bunch after A/B...

Are the Q40 and MDR ma900 considered monitor headphones?

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #25 of 31
Oh, didn't know that you didn't want open. Anyways, I'd recommend the ATH WS99. Use eq if u wont flat cause you won't easily find a flat headphone that competes with the ws99.

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #27 of 31
Kind of. They're best quality is the bass, (best bass in the world!) but they don't lack at anything, including imaging, mids, and detail. Better than the dt770, MDR 1r, and all other closed cans I've heard outside of the KEF m500 and PSB m4u.

Aug 13, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #28 of 31
Call me crazy but I am A/Bing a white pair of ATHM50 I picked up against the CAD MD310, and the CAD seem to be a little better? There is a slightly bigger soundstage and while the bass on the M50 is stronger, it seems a little inflated and the soundstage is pretty cramped?

Aug 13, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #29 of 31

Open leaks all the bass out so it defeats the point as far as producing electronic dance music goes.

Where did you get that from?

See: Any full-size HiFiMan or Audeze headphone, Beyerdynamic DT880/990, Grado PS500, Sennheiser HD600/650, etc.

I know for a fact that Dada Life use Audeze headphones for music production and they make fantastic quality mixes.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #30 of 31
I havent heard the senn 600 series referred to as basshead cans, and I dont think Ive ever heard someone call grados bass heavy. Although people have said that about the 990. Dont know where Id even look to be able to try an audeze or a hifiman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back