Prodigy 7.1 Hifi + Asus P2B-D = no go
Oct 2, 2008 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sgrossklass

Headphoneus Supremus
Not recognized at all, doesn't even in device list shown after POST. It is known that the P2B series does not cooperate with certain newer cards, with no distinct pattern being apparent (e.g. certain USB2 cards with NEC chipset work while others with the same chip don't). Supposedly it is related to the PCI BIOS. The P3B-F (same chipset - the venerable i440BX - but different BIOS, weirdo Phoenix-ish Award 6.0 instead of Award 4.51PG) does recognize the card. The system requirements didn't state PCI 2.2 though, and since I'm already using two other Envy24HT based cards, I didn't expect this kind of problem.

Crap!
mad.gif

Next step would be asking Audiotrak support whether this could be solved by modified EEPROM contents - now unfortunately, tomorrow is Germany's national holiday, and then weekend, meaning noone to reach until Monday. *sigh*
frown.gif

Any bright ideas, anyone? I have already obtained a datasheet for the Envy24HT, but it contains no details re: EEPROM contents.

Oct 2, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 5
1. Try the Prodigy card in another PC to be sure it is working.

2. Try removing and reseating the Prodigy card. Try a different PCI slot if there is more than 1.

3. Consider asking Asus for help.

Bill

Oct 2, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 5
That's an antique motherboard, good enough for a museum
smily_headphones1.gif
. When it comes to computers, Old hardware and New hardware don't go together at all times, most could say it's to be expected. Maybe it's time for a new upgrade, that should solve all problems - the easy and quick way.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know if Audiotrack could help, but Asus, I'm sure it won't, at least not with an old model like P2B-D.

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 5
I did try the card in another comp, that's the one with the P3B-F that at least showed it in the device list (didn't go any further, might do tomorrow along with an EEPROM dump). Reseating in the P2B-D had no effect.

Well, it's true that the P2B-D is not the very latest model (my rev 1.06 PCBA D03 certainly dates from 2000 or 2001), but it served me faithfully in my main machine for the last 4 years or so. This is a solid workstation-class board after all. The two 667 MHz Coppermines run at 500 MHz and 1.45 V core (cool enough to allow passive cooling) are fast enough for most tasks (save for media work, e.g. LAME is a little lame indeed), a whole gig of RAM (recently maxed out) is quite workable indeed, and the T7K250 on the Ultra100 TX2 isn't the very slowest harddrive either. Most importantly, the whole system has only two fans and shows an acceptably low noise level for serious listening. (The P3B-F equipped system comes close but is a touch louder still, plus CPU cooling currently is not adequate for full load, besides there's no going back from duallies.)

Of course a new system wouldn't hurt, and I've been contemplating this option for quite a while. The main problem is that tackling this project would be both a good bit of work and not cheap. After all, I'd want:
* less noise than now
* a rock stable system with top quality components
* dualcore CPU (of course, coming from a dual CPU system)
* 1 Velociraptor + 1 mass storage drive (suspended and all)
* no higher average power consumption than now (which is between 60 and 90 watts depending on load), high PSU efficiency at low loads would help here (now I have a 110W PSU)
* some legacy ports (PS/2 for Model M, 1 COM)
* space for at least 2 PCI (audio) cards, and no interrupt sharing issues
* good burner for DVD-Rs and audio CD ripping
* Linux instead of Windows (and that as a noob in terms of system-level tasks, only been user so far), but with all the functions I'm using right now, including live line-in monitoring; no Vista, certainly
As you can see, not a trivial task at all!

Oct 3, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #5 of 5
Fortunately for you, things changed so fast when it comes to PC components, that you can't make an affordable good quality system with 2006 -2007 hardware. And let's not forget, this days quality has a different meaning then it did back them (if it Powers ON it's good to go). Nothing is easy, but sometimes you have to move along - unless you have financial problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back