Processor Help
Aug 15, 2007 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Blockman86

100+ Head-Fier
I need a hand with a processor related question, hope I'm posting this in the appropriate thread. I've been using the same pc for 5 years now and I finally feel the urge to upgrade my processor. I'm running a P4 2.4GHz at the moment and would like to upgrade to the maximum capacity. I'm using a P4S8X-X Asus MoBo (link: MoBo). It states that it can support 3.06GHz speeds and above, and that the FSB is 533/400 MHz. Now I've come across a pretty good deal on a P4 HT 3.4GHz processor with 800 FSB. I figure the speed is fine (since it supports 3.06 and up), but what's the deal with the FSB? Do I need to find a processor that runs at that speed? I'm not too good with hardware, and there seems to be a bunch of IT people frequenting these boards, so I defer to your greater knowledge.
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 16
I really don't think it will be worth upgrading on that mobo. I would save up and upgrade to a core 2 duo system. (this will require mobo, cpu, ddr2 memory, and pci-e gpu) It will be much more expensive but It will be well worth it as you will have a computer that will last you for another 5+ years.

Aug 15, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 16
That's what I was afraid to hear
cool.gif

Thing is I'm not planning on doing any gaming really, I'm mostly asking because the processor is such a bargain and it seems like quite a step up from what I have now. Maybe you're right though, I have been contemplating building a new pc in the near future, so I might just do that.

Thanks for the input!

Aug 15, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 16
I would suggest running with what you have until it quits working. Buying a new P4 wouldn't get you enough improvement, assuming everything is working, to justify even the low cost. Save your money and put it toward a new computer when you really need it because they will just get cheaper as time goes on.

Aug 15, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 16
It looks like that board does not support the 800MHz FSB needed for the faster P4 procs. I would do as suggested and just save up for a big upgrade.

If you're looking for a good speed boost. Format your hard drive and reinstall windows. You'll be surprised how fast that 2.4 will go.

~Zip

Aug 15, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 16
Actually just did reformat a few days ago, and it is much faster. I try to reformat every 6 months or so though, so I'm pretty used to it. I was just looking into the upgrade because of the price, but I think I'll stick with the suggestion of building a new pc from scratch.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #7 of 16
If you want to have a little fun with your pc you may want to install some flavor of linux (you can always dual boot and not lose anything from your windows partition other than a few gigs of space). It will seem like a new machine and will probably keep you occupied until you can afford a new pc.

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 16
Hmm... I might give that a try. I know of a few friends who've done this for fun and seem to enjoy it. So even though I don't plan on buying new components for at least 6 months, does anyone have suggestions on which parts I should be buying? I'd need a mobo, processor, gpu, ram (2Gb?), and possibly a hard drive (although I'm pretty sure I'd just keep what I've got at the moment). Power supply, case, sound card and optical drives are all covered. I used to be a gamer but I doubt I'd have time with grad studies starting in 3 weeks. Otherwise, I'd basically be photo/video/audio editing and general web browsing/office work.

Let's say my budget is no more than 2K USD. Keep in mind I'm in Canada, so I can't use Newegg since they don't ship up here.

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blockman86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... I might give that a try. I know of a few friends who've done this for fun and seem to enjoy it. So even though I don't plan on buying new components for at least 6 months, does anyone have suggestions on which parts I should be buying? I'd need a mobo, processor, gpu, ram (2Gb?), and possibly a hard drive (although I'm pretty sure I'd just keep what I've got at the moment). Power supply, case, sound card and optical drives are all covered. I used to be a gamer but I doubt I'd have time with grad studies starting in 3 weeks. Otherwise, I'd basically be photo/video/audio editing and general web browsing/office work.

Let's say my budget is no more than 2K USD. Keep in mind I'm in Canada, so I can't use Newegg since they don't ship up here.

You can go nuts with that kind of budget. What is the online equivalent to newegg in Canada?

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 16
I would go with an intel xeon x3220 cpu (re-badged q6600 only cheaper) asus p5k deluxe mobo, 2gb ddr2 ram (lower timings are better obviously), since you don't play games I would go with a 6800 gt pci-e gpu, This is what I am getting to upgrade my pc and have priced it out to about $650 on newegg so you should be able to find it for a similar price somewhere that ships to Canada. This system will do anything you want for a few years.

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #12 of 16
Wow thanks! I'll take a look at those components in the next few days, had no idea I could build a suitable pc for less than 1k. As for the newegg question, not really sure what the equivalent is here. I generally buy anything pc related from an oem dealer: link. What's the difference (advantage/disadvantage) between sli and pci-e for gpus?

And thanks for the linux tip, I'll take a look.

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #13 of 16
PCI-E is the slot which new video cards use because it provides greater bandwith and electricity to power it. However, newer generations need to be connected to the power supply because they draw so much electricity to power themselves.

SLI is NVIDIA's technology which bridges 2 video cards of the same generation and family, i.e. 2 8800GTXs, for greater performance. But don't deal with it, it hasn't matured to provide a signficant performance increase and its just costly.

Since your waiting: Peryn(Intel's new processors) are just around the corner along with Nehalem being a year away. I'd atleast wait for PCI Express 2.0 to be released since it is backwards compatible with PCI Express. So if you do get an urge to go back to gaming, as alot of the med school residents I know did, you can always add a new video card.

Aug 16, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #14 of 16
So SLI seems out of the question, I doubt I'd ever need 2+ gpu's running at the same time. Guess I've got lots of reading to do regarding newer processors/ mobo slots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back