Problems with xlr to 3.5mm
Jul 1, 2014 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

iceye2072

New Head-Fier
Hi i got a problem about connection. i tend to connect my dac to a computer speaker supporting a 3.5mm trs input through a "3.5mm to xlr"cable which is often used to connect mic to preamp
will electrical level of XLR output of dac iv is too high to damage either itself or the said speaker if i connect in this way?

Jul 1, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 9
  Hi i got a problem about connection. I tend to connect my dac to a computer speaker supporting a 3.5mm trs input through a "3.5mm to xlr"cable which is often used to connect mic to preamp
will electrical level of XLR output of dac iv is too high to damage either itself or the said speaker if i connect in this way?

So your trying to connect the XLR output on a DAC to the 3.5mm input on the computer speakers?
What DAC and speakers are you using?

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #4 of 9
Would that msb dac iv be the same msb dac iv that costs $14,000? Before adding recommended options?

I would have thought you might expect prompt advice from the supplier. e.g. sending someone round to install it for you.

Regardless.

It doesn't matter. You might as well connect the regular unbalanced line out from the interface to your powered speakers minijack line in.

btw You could save some clutter by connecting your source directly to the speakers via USB if you wanted.

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #5 of 9
  Would that msb dac iv be the same msb dac iv that costs $14,000? Before adding recommended options?

I would have thought you might expect prompt advice from the supplier. e.g. sending someone round to install it for you.

Regardless.

It doesn't matter. You might as well connect the regular unbalanced line out from the interface to your powered speakers minijack line in.

btw You could save some clutter by connecting your source directly to the speakers via USB if you wanted.

Thanks for replying , i actually emailed the supplier before posting this ,the regular unbalanced output was occupied already by other device in deed. in fact i just wondering if it will provide better performance by using a hi-end dac or
a nice preamp. :) 
the sound comes out of this mm1 is already amazing in use of USB

Jul 1, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #6 of 9
  Thanks for replying , i actually emailed the supplier before posting this ,the regular unbalanced output was occupied already by other device in deed. in fact i just wondering if it will provide better performance by using a hi-end dac or
a nice preamp. :) 
the sound comes out of this mm1 is already amazing in use of USB

I would guess(?)  it would not work well connecting the XLR output to a unbalanced (3.5mm) input.
The XLR is outputting dual signals, using three wires (two positive, with a ground ), but the MM-1's unbalanced input is only signal channel input, two wires (one positive and a ground).
So I'm guessing even if you find a cable that connects a XLR to 3.5mm, the MM-1 might be a little confused on what to do with the signal. 

Jul 1, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #8 of 9
No it'll be fine. Provided the OP finds a suitable cable. In this case 2x Female XLR > 1x TRS minijack. They do exist but if you cannot find one where you live one it be made up if required.

Depending on the type of balancing implemented by the DAC the signal will either be identical to the source or 6dB louder.

Anyway the unit has twin unbalanced RCA outputs. So he doesn't need to use the XLRs at all. Like it says in post #4. Just read the manual.

There is absolutely no advantage in using the balanced outs. Both ends need to be balanced for it to work.

Why would anyone want to connect a $15,000 DAC to overpriced $300 3" satellites anyway? It is trivial these days to build a transparent DAC. So the chances are that if the owner can genuinely tell the difference between his on-board/direct USB and the msb then the msb must be much, much worse than it looks or it's acting more like an EQ than a DAC. All very strange. Willing to spend 5 figures plus but cba to read the manual? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back