Problems with Unique Melody
Oct 17, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #31 of 52
I ordered 1x Miracle and 1x Merlin with standard cables back in 2012.
I live in Europe, but there are no local dealers in the country where I live, so I ordered them directly through uniquemelody.co (Australia).

It took them around 8 weeks to build, customize and ship them to me. I had to return the iems for some fitting and visual modifications, and they shipped the iems back after a couple more weeks.
The iems have been rock solid since, and still deliver exquisite fidelity. I am actually using the Miracles right now.

My own experience was undividedly positive. They answered most of my crazy questions within the day, and met all my expectations regarding fitting, sound quality and customer service.

To the point:
The reason I coincidentally read this thread today is that I was curious about the Mentor. As usual I went to uniquemelody.co, and was met by the "(...) currently unavailable due to a change in management (...)" message.

There are two things that made me skeptical and google my way to this thread: 1) the "change in management" part and 2) the totally different graphical looks from the old page.
The old page looks like this, for reference: http://uniquemelody.co/lineup/miracle/

From @Fernito 's experience and the "change in management" it sound to me like there might be some kind of disagreement between the dealer and manufacturer, more than just 1 left-out payment. I really hope the "change in management" is for the better, and that UM maintain the build quality I know.

@Fernito I really hope things sort out for you.
Could you please keep us up-to-date?
It would be much appreciated.

Oct 17, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #32 of 52
I came to learn that a very young man named Stephen Guo Has the exclusive rights to Unique Melody products for the US market. Further in communication with Stephen I learned that he also has his own distribution network around the world but on a non-exclusive basis. He seems like a very responsible guy. He also can and does communicate in English and Chinese and gives fast replies to inquires. If I were to order UM products again I would try to work through Stephen.

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #33 of 52
  I ordered 1x Miracle and 1x Merlin with standard cables back in 2012.
I live in Europe, but there are no local dealers in the country where I live, so I ordered them directly through uniquemelody.co (Australia).

It took them around 8 weeks to build, customize and ship them to me. I had to return the iems for some fitting and visual modifications, and they shipped the iems back after a couple more weeks.
The iems have been rock solid since, and still deliver exquisite fidelity. I am actually using the Miracles right now.

My own experience was undividedly positive. They answered most of my crazy questions within the day, and met all my expectations regarding fitting, sound quality and customer service.

To the point:
The reason I coincidentally read this thread today is that I was curious about the Mentor. As usual I went to uniquemelody.co, and was met by the "(...) currently unavailable due to a change in management (...)" message.

There are two things that made me skeptical and google my way to this thread: 1) the "change in management" part and 2) the totally different graphical looks from the old page.
The old page looks like this, for reference: http://uniquemelody.co/lineup/miracle/

From Fernito 's experience and the "change in management" it sound to me like there might be some kind of disagreement between the dealer and manufacturer, more than just 1 left-out payment. I really hope the "change in management" is for the better, and that UM maintain the build quality I know.

@Fernito I really hope things sort out for you.
Could you please keep us up-to-date?
It would be much appreciated.

Sure, I'll keep you updated.

I came to learn that a very young man named Stephen Guo Has the exclusive rights to Unique Melody products for the US market. Further in communication with Stephen I learned that he also has his own distribution network around the world but on a non-exclusive basis. He seems like a very responsible guy. He also can and does communicate in English and Chinese and gives fast replies to inquires. If I were to order UM products again I would try to work through Stephen.

I really don't think I'll ever buy something from them again, even though the problem was -apparently- solved. The way Unique Melody, as a company, handled the situation left a lot to be desired.

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #34 of 52

Sure, I'll keep you updated.

I really don't think I'll ever buy something from them again, even though the problem was -apparently- solved. The way Unique Melody, as a company, handled the situation left a lot to be desired.

I agree with you. I've spent nearly 4K on UM products and I doubt I will go that route again. There are so many choices available from companies that can and do communicate that I don't feel the need to deal with these problems. 

I would caution anyone thinking of the Mentor or the Mason that either will require that you have large ears. These 10 and 12 driver iem's are very large. That will create fit problems for a lot of people. I have big ears and I still need to use a triple flange tip to get a positive seal with the Mason. These things are HUGE. Once sealed they do sound fantastic.

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #35 of 52
Help me, please. Where can I buy a bass filters for UM 3DD? Since September 15th I’ve mailed representative Stepen Guo, once a week, every time he promised to help and replied, that they were looking for the filters in a storages (what looked more like a formal reply). As a result, he found nothing, and probably even hasn’t looked for it at all. Just got rid me politely, and advised to mail on um@uniquemelody.org. I didn’t receive any reply for 2 my mails during a week from this email. Less than 2 years passed from the date of this purchase, and it’s already impossible to buy a spares for the headphones, which cost $500-600.

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #36 of 52
Sorry, didn't have time to update this before, but I got the IEMs on Tuesday.

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #37 of 52
UM is the worst company I've ever dealt with.  The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.  They will do anything to hold on to your money including shipping you a piece of s--t product.  I wound up with an CIEM I couldn't use.  Money down the drain and a miserable experience.  I urge anyone and everyone to take their CIEM needs elsewhere.  There are a plethora of great companies with stand up people behind them making customs now.  I've had very positive experiences with Clear Tunes and The Custom Art and a passably good experience with JH audio. 

When it comes to CIEMs the odds are significant you could wind up with a problem/refit.  Customer service, honesty and business ethics become very important in these cases, UM has none of those things.  Avoid them at all costs!

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #38 of 52
I placed an order for reshells with UM Australia on August 26 but have not heard from them since. That message that pops up on their website is annoying.It says the site will be back shortly but its been months since.Im so desperate, anyone with some advice.If only I could get my drivers and refund I would be happy.I have lost all the patience emailing myself because no one reads the emails anyway.

Desperado

Arzdogg

Nov 2, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #39 of 52
  I placed an order for reshells with UM Australia on August 26 but have not heard from them since. That message that pops up on their website is annoying.It says the site will be back shortly but its been months since.Im so desperate, anyone with some advice.If only I could get my drivers and refund I would be happy.I have lost all the patience emailing myself because no one reads the emails anyway.

Desperado

Arzdogg

The only way I found to communicate with the factory is through Stephen Guo. He is their representative for the US and seems to also have a network of his own UM dealers around the globe. Unless you speak Chinese I don't believe there is any other way. There are some dealers here in Asia that are bilingual and have the ability to communicate directly with UM. Stereo in Singapore and Jet Live Audio in Thailand are two examples. If you had been dealing with their now defunct Australian dealer you are in for a tough ride. 

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #41 of 52
Try to reach Rachel at service@uniquemelody.org

Jan 3, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #42 of 52
Hello guys and happy new year
gs1000.gif
 !!

My parents offered me custom 3DD, they were due 2 months earlier but at least they made it to Christmas. The sound is extraordinary :O. Sadly, I didn't come here to write some review (unless someone is interested, then I'll gladly do it :D) but to tell you about my cable failure problem :frowning2:.

Well, just a week after I started using my 3DD, as I was tilting my head to the left I noticed a drop of sound in the right earpiece. I did some - non-violent :p - tests and found out that if I apply a tiny bit of pressure on the right side just where the cable plugs into the earpiece, the sound would stop. It doesn't do that on the other side at all, I've also tried switching to be sure it's a cable failure and not a problem with the earpieces. I thought maybe it wasn't that big a deal, since I can often listen to music for a long period without any interruption on any side, but yeah sometimes it's not the case and I believe this kind of loose connection in the cable can only get worse overtime.

After reading what you guys wrote (see quotes below) I don't see why I would even bother contacting Unique Melody for a replacement or buy a new cable from them. Problem is I bought a 3DD with extruding socket (see http://uniquemelody.co/lineup/cables/) 
redface.gif
, I don't know if the cables from ultimate ears are compatible (on this link, they seem very similar thought). Unless someone knows, I'll ask them directly ^^. I actually hadn't thought of ultimate ears and came accross http://www.plussoundaudio.com/customcables/inearmonitor.html but it's crazy expensive and maybe not worth it.
Cables are always a big worry for me because I'm not always cautious and run often and fast. However, it's not possible that it's my fault after only one week
mad.gif
. Plus I had extreme care and didn't even want to roll them, I'd rather put them fully unrolled on a table. And after all the cable of my SE420 lasted about 4-5 years until the plastic started peeling off, and the first cable of my IE8 lasted 3 years.

Do you think I should buy a cable from ultimate ears ? Can it survive some tension or should I do something to strengthen it (e.g. nylon sleeves) ?

Sorry for the long post, I also wanted to explain why I chose those CIEM but it's very late and I need sleep 
triportsad.gif
. Btw this was my first post but I've known the forum for a while and it's a pretty cool place 
wink.gif

Quote:
  I've had a number of problems dealing with UM.

Cables:
I bought a very pricey cable from them, which developed a fault after about 3 weeks. Then another one, then another one. The problem went away when I started using Ultimate Ears cables (learning from my past I ordered 3 cables, after two years I'm still using the first one). They get away with it because they are in China and our consumer protection laws do not apply to them.

I have a direct quote from them, where they say that their cables are never under any warranty at all.
How is that for standing by your product?

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #43 of 52
The cable on UM products, at least the one I have, is a standard 2 pin connector. This is a very common connector available from many suppliers. If you want a cheap solution there are many such cables available on Ebay. Of course you can buy expensive cables if you choose from a variety of sources. In my experience with my UM Mason I did not care for the cable supplied and bought a custom cable. Never had a problem with the connection. I am afraid that the common 2 pin cables used with many iem's can get loose unless they are designed with recessed connections. 

There is also the possibility that you have a faulty socket on one side. You would know that easily if you try a different cable. On my Mentor I used some 3M double sided tape and placed a very small amount over the female connection on the earpiece then plugged the cable (punched) it through the tape and into the socket. That locked if firmly in place. You might try that if you like it is simple and if you don't like what it does you can just peel off the tape.

Jan 4, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #44 of 52
Sorry mate, can't help you much beyond "don't buy cables from UM" and "The ones I bought from Ultimate Ears have been working great for years now". As for protruding sockets, I won't pretend I know the first thing about them...

Jan 9, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #45 of 52
Hello guys :) !! Thanks for the helpful answers ! Sorry for my late post :frowning2: I had a work trip and a lot to do.

@chodi :

Well the connector is not loose, what I meant is something is broken around the connector.

The sockets and earpieces are fine I think, because I inverted the cable (right canal into the left socket and vice versa) and the same problem occurred on the left side whereas the right side seemed fine.

Errmmm I'll keep the idea of the tape in mind if I ever need that ahah :p.

@kakamatyi

Alright then, I'm going to write to Ultimate Ears and I'll keep you guys updated ^^.

P.S.: moderators haven't deleted my double post :s. Sorry guys. I had some sort of pop-up telling me I can't post external links, then my post disappeared completely and a few minutes later I posted another one and saw that it actually had worked :/.

Envoyé de mon H60-L04 en utilisant Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back