Problems with toy r us
Oct 9, 2006 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, I'm pissed right now. Yesterday I went to toys r us 'cause it's close to my home. I went there to buy a DS lite for my GF. Since I have the white, I thought I better bought the black one for my GF. I knew in forums that the black one attracts fingermarks but I was thinking to see how bad it is before I decide to keep the black one or get another white one.
Now, before I bought the black ds lite I have pressed whether I can do a return if I don't like the black color. The toys r'us assistant told me when I don't like it I can get a replacement or refund if i return it within 45 days. So I asked him again if I open it and don't like the color I can get it replace, right? He told me there will be no problem, just don't lose the receipt.
I get it home, open it and kind of playing it for about 5 mins. I saw how bad the fingermark print is and I decide to return it. The only thing I open is the ds lite, I did not even touch the charger and manual, I don't need to since I got my own charger and manual.
This morning I return the item and want to exchange it to the white one. The store manager said I can't get the white one since I have opened the item. Upon hearing that I'm pissed. Her store assistant told me I won't have problem getting a replacement. The manager said I only can get an identical item. What an *******. I can't see any reason she can't get me a white one. I demand her to get me another new black one. The reason I'm pissed are
1. I can't see why she can get me a white one. It's basically the same thing.
2. When I confront her regarding her assistant who promised me otherwise, she tried to cover it up and make it look I'm the one who's wrong in this case.

So now I have a brand new black ds lite, unopened but with seal cut out in front of me so I can't return it. What are my options here guys? I'm thinking of getting a chargeback from my CC so I can return this item. (I have Citibank MC) There's no way I'm shopping at toysrus again.

Oct 9, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 21
threaten to report them to the better business bureau, write a letter to the paper about the piss poor customer service, contact toys r us and let them know of the actions of the store manager...

and did the store cut the UPC off the box? make sure to mention that... if i did something like that i'd get in serious trouble.. not sure how toys r us policy is

best thing to do when the store attempts to pull a BS move in the direction of "the customer is always wrong" is make such threats... because it usually violates company policy

Oct 9, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 21
As long as I've been playing video games, no retailer that I know of has ever allowed the return of a video game system or game after the seal has been broken.

Knowing that, why would you buy one knowing you wouldn't like it the first place?

Oct 9, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 21
I'm going to have to play the devil's advocate here. Not because I agree with Toy's R Us but because I know how retail stores seem to work (from experience). If you asked a big box retail store employee any question, 8 out of 10 times they WILL NOT know the answer and WILL lie to you as if they do. It isn't right but nothing you posted here surprises me. Toy's R Us (who has always been known to be overpriced for games) isn't going to take something back that you broke the seal on and want to return because you don't like the color, no matter what assistant manager nimwit says. If you think you can win this, definately start working up the customer service ladder at Toys R Us. However, I seriously doubt they'll do anything to make you a satisfied customer.

The assistant manager probably hasn't the slightest clue of how the Toy's R Us return policy works so he probably just told you wrong.

Oct 9, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by rock\
As long as I've been playing video games, no retailer that I know of has ever allowed the return of a video game system or game after the seal has been broken.

This is true. Some places offer an exchange and/or store credit policy, but no store will take back a system or game and provide an actual refund if the seal has been broken. If they did you could just buy a new system every six months, put your old one back in the box, and take it back for a refund.

IMO one should NEVER take an employee's word for anything. Especially considering that all you have to do, usually, is look on the back of the receipt at any B&M for their return policy.

Oct 9, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 21
Thats garbage.

Tell the manager that his employees told you that there would be no problem with the exchange. And that he should inform his employees the policy, so that you dont have employees lying to his customers. If he is a smart guy he will give you a return, if not. Go talk to him and then grab a white one off the shelf, hand him the black one and walk outta the store. See what he does then.

Oct 9, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras
Thats garbage.

Tell the manager that his employees told you that there would be no problem with the exchange. And that he should inform his employees the policy, so that you dont have employees lying to his customers. If he is a smart guy he will give you a return, if not. Go talk to him and then grab a white one off the shelf, hand him the black one and walk outta the store. See what he does then.

That's the worst advice ever.........definately do it and then reply here when someone posts your bail.

Oct 9, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #8 of 21
That is the dumbest advice I've ever heard. For one, I'm sure those things are locked up like King Tut's gold, and secondly, they would call the police genius. How stupid would he look sitting in county because he didn't want a certain color Nintendo DS. I'm sure the fellas in lock up would looooove that one.

Oct 9, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 21
heh, I work for Target and they take back anything (except dvds, cds, and software) opened or not for a full refund, even ipods DS's etc...

Oct 9, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #11 of 21
The issue to me is less that they won't do a return, since it's pretty well common knowledge that most stores don't (except Target apparently), but the fact that you were lied to, and the manager wasn't bothered by that. I'd get their names, (go back if you have to, tell them why even, but remain cool and professional) and go home, call HQ, get the address of the district manager. Be sure to get a return receipt request from that letter, so you know they got it. Give it some time, a month maybe, then take it up a level, and up a level, and up a level. Remember to proofread your writing a bit better than in this thread.
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #12 of 21
yeah that is my pet peeve.....especially because you double checked. the toys r us in my area went out of business...hmmm..wonder why??

Oct 9, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #13 of 21
A toys r us in my area is becoming a Best Buy, opening Oct. 17. Good riddence I say. They ran that place into the ground. Its a small miricle that they stayd afloat as long as they did. I estimate they probably were in this location for about 15 years.

Oct 9, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #14 of 21
http://www.toysrus.com/helpdesk/inde...y=instructions

"We will accept returns of the following items within 45 days from the date of purchase: video games, accessories, and systems; computer software; VHS cassettes; DVDs; music; electronics; radio-control items; trading cards; collectibles and consumer electronics .The original, dated receipt is required for a refund or exchange, and the item must be returned in its unopened and factory-sealed package. If the item has been opened, it can only be exchanged for an identical item. Refunds and exchanges will not be given without a dated receipt."

It is rediculous that they wouldn't let you swap for the white. At any other store where I've bought and needed to exchange (CC, BB, Wal-Mart, Target,etc.) I've had no problem. I do however go about it in a certain manor where I will not take "no" for an answer. Maybe I've been lucky, or I just bitch until I get my way.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back