Problems with power supply from high-amp.de (for electrostatic phones)
Mar 14, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #16 of 18
I would class it as "not bad" you should get a type of upfront presentation due to the compact design. But being truthful I would build yourself another one of what you have just built for someone else.
It is much more  "sophisticated" than the one you have .Has a circuit that wont be heavily beaten for a long time.and should be smooth although I realise "tube sound" in the one you have
 helps to smooth over the cracks. If I was in your position I would start building it. good luck! and thanks for the link.

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #17 of 18
Well, the exstatas goal was not to be high-end, it was to get a stat amp 
for 300$ maximum parts cost - what it achieved.

After currency conversion and some parts beeing a bit more expansive here,
I stayed right below 300€ for the exstata parts.

The amp I built right now is a bit over 500€ for the parts.

I'll see if I can make out any differences in the sound myself.

The first listening tests did not reveal any big differences (if any at all)

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #18 of 18
If you found not difference between the 2 That worries me a bit . All amps have their own "signature" even if it is small.I listen on 007 MK1s which some say are not the most open but to me present a musical presentation. 
With my mods to the Stax-SRM-727-11 I have  a very clear presentation even near the -009s. As a matter of fact I was hearing too much detail-bounce from analogue drums every articulation from the vocals of the singer. So I had to increase the feed-back resistor value/okay now. What I am getting at is it depends on what you listen on.
If manufacturers all made the same sounding equipment then many would be out of a job. Most people on this web-site like more and more detail and judge equipment on that level.
You pay your money and take your choice. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back