Problems with HRT Music Streamer II
Feb 16, 2012 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BmacTN

New Head-Fier
Back in December, I bought my HRT Music Streamer II.  The sound quality is excellent, but I am having problems.  Quite frequently the sound from it will cut out and I will get a very loud static (painfully loud).  This stopped happening after a couple weeks so I forgot about it.  About two weeks ago it started happening again and is still happening.  Also, above my desk (and the device) is a lamp.  A couple of times now when I turn the lamp off, the audio cuts out and i have to disable and then re-enable it.  My first instinct is there is a problem with shielding, but I honestly have no idea.  Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
according to HRT, its a power consumption problem.
what is your hrt plugged into? 
usually a powered usb hub fixes it. supposedly.

In as much as this attribution is incorrect, let me take a moment to clarify.

The advantage that adding a self (not bus) powered USB hub has nothing at all to do with "power consumption" in the conventional sense.  The addition of the hub is to off load a task from the host's (computer's) root hub, specifically, the FS to HS translation task.  

The signal chain would be: host -> USB A to B cable -> hub -> USB A to B cable -> device

The reason for the recommendation of a self powered hub versus a bus powered one has to do with the fact that a bus powered USB hub must allocate a percentage of the bus power (up to 500 mA) from the host (computer) to both the hub's own needs and then to each of the downstream ports that it has.  This typically results in inadequate power for the attached device (USB DAC in this case).  As a further step, I would recommend that the DAC be the only device attached to the hub regardless of the number of downstream ports the hub might have.  

Lastly, I would suggest that any questions be sent to support@hirestech.com as that is a monitored email address and we can often get a response generated in a few hours on any day, posting on a forum such as this may not be noticed. 

Kevin Halverson
CTO
High Resolution Technologies, LLC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back