Problems with HD650
Nov 25, 2007 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ak622

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

First off, its great to have head-fi back!!

Anyways about a week ago my HD650s were all good and great but then last Saturday night I went to listen to them and the left channel makes a screeching sound when I turn up the volume... Also the left channel is quiet and not balanced with the right channel. I really need to turn up the volume before the theres any sound from the left... Does anyone know what the issue is and if its fixable?

I'm using a Gilmore Lite Amp and a Monica 2 DAC. I'm not sure what happened since I used the system earlier that afternoon... If anyone has any insight or solutions that would be great!

Thanks,
Andrew

Nov 25, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 13
I would make sure the cable is firmly seated on the left side as well. Could just be that it got tugged on and isn't making very good contact.

Ant

Nov 25, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 13
Probably the driver if off his socket.

1- Remove the external grill
2- Check if the driver is well clipped ..

When Sennheiser fall on the floor, the driver always desnap to his socket.

If the case, just push on it to reclip to his socket.

When not clipped, you hear less bass from one side ..

Nov 25, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for the replies... Ok I took everything apart and I snapped everything back together... I tried something different, I swapped the cable connectors from L -> R and R -> L.. the screeching now comes from the other channel so it seems like it might be the cable... Would that make sense that the cable is an issue? I'll probably try another and buy another HD650 from Sennheiser.. Any other suggestions?

Nov 25, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 13
if swapping the cable L/R sides moved the issue it -could- be the cable...

or it could be the amp or dac.

try the Glite with some other source (random cd player, whatever).

if CD->glite->650's has no issue, it's the dac. Troubleshoot, man!

Nov 25, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 13
its a great excuse to upgrade to a better set of cables

Nov 25, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its a great excuse to upgrade to a better set of cables

If it is, in fact, the cables. Just replace each component in the chain one at a time until you isolate the issue. (Ideally, you'd do this -before- making a thread about it, in case it was something stupid like a kinked interconnect, etc)

Nov 25, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #11 of 13
I tried it with the SB3 -> DAC and straight from the SB3... Also I have tried it with the sources off so just the amp by itself and it has the same issue.. I've also disconnected the system and reconnected everything before posting so I made sure it wasn't a connection issue with the interconnects between source and amp...

If it is the amp, I don't have another pair of headphones right now because I'm still in the process of moving so I don't have all my other phones.. I'll try the headphone cable first and see what happen after that..

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Nov 26, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #13 of 13
Unfortunately I don't have my Cambridge Audio amp yet so I don't have another headphone out to test it on. I'm just buying the Sennheiser replacement cable so its $12 and not a huge investment.. If it works, that would be great but if it doesn't, it won't break the bank either...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back