Problems with Fisher pcdp: Dead Motor?
Jan 4, 2003 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Fuse

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I've got this 1996 Fisher pcdp (Model # PCD-6300) that has stopped playing cds. I've tried using both AC and battery power, and the display turns on, but the discs don't rotate. What I wanted to know is if it's worth trying to get this unit serviced, or if any of you have some suggestions on what might be wrong. I think it's a pretty nice pcdp, its only got 3-sec of skip protection, but it does have a line out, and I'm planning on getting a META pretty soon. Any ideas? Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

J.F.

Jan 5, 2003 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 9
Hi Fuse...

How suddenly did the player stop... erm, playing? was the unit in storage for a couple of years, or... have you been using it constantly, and its just given up?

Seeing that you won't have any warranty on it anymore... is it worth opening it up, to see if any wires have come lose, or... if the motor has a part number on it... for possible replacement?

I'd be interested to know how / why it stopped playing though... seeing how my D777 from 1995 has got thousands (literally) of hours on the clock... and, I don't want it to die! <insert crying face here!>

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2003 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 9
I really don't know why it died on me...I hadn't used it for about 2 months (got Ipod
smily_headphones1.gif
) and when I got my Senn HD580s, I wanted to see how they would sound on my pcdp. So, I plugged 'em in, and it sounded pretty good to me stright out of the jack. Do you think I could have damaged the player by using such high impedence phones? It does say on the front of the player that it has a 1bit DAC. I didn't use them (the headphones) for very long, about 15 min. on three or so occations, and then it just stopped working. Do you know if Fisher has a website for their pcdps and where I could get some technical support? Thanks.

Jan 5, 2003 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 9
Does your player have a "hold" function? If so, make sure that it is turned off. The hold function disables the controls during playback. Once you reach the end of a disc, the player will appear inoperable, as it won't accept new commands until the hold function is shut off.

The headphones have nothing to do with the motor problem.

Jan 5, 2003 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 9
I checked to make sure the hold was off, and it was, but all I get when I press play are two little lines (like where the track # should be) -- <---Like that

confused.gif
Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Jan 5, 2003 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 9
Strange

Maybe the PCDPs logic has screwed up?!

Doesn't sound like so much of a motor problem anymore to me - its like my CD player when it tries to read CDRW discs...

Are you trying to play standard, or copied CDs?

Jan 5, 2003 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 9
Just standard CDs...and I'm not getting any disc rotation at all...this is getting more and more confusing. If it is the logic, is there any way to fix that?

Jan 5, 2003 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 9
It sounds as though the laser isn't reading the disk properly.

Maybe something here could be useful

Jan 5, 2003 at 7:26 PM Post #9 of 9
I looked around a little on that link...and I found out some interesting possible causes, but the link said that laser problems only account for 10% of errors. Other than that, it looks like the only option is to open it up, which I have no experience with
frown.gif
It looks like this player has kicked the bucket. If no one has any other ideas, I'll probably open it up anyway, just for educational purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back