Problems with Cosmic
Jun 30, 2002 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

FCJ

Propz go out to his homeez at Burrz-Brownz!
I'm having a problem with my new Cosmic (just got it the other day) that I want to make sure is not inherent in the amp.

Using my Ety 4s with the Cosmic (wall wart used for power) and my Sony 500 SACD player, I notice a crackling noise when I turn the volume pot past 12 o'clock. I noticed this while I wasn't playing music. I wonder if this is inherent in the amp, since I remember that the original TAH had the same problem. I also tried the battery instead of the wall wart, but I heard the same crackling noise.

I guess that I'll call Headroom on Monday, but I wanted to see if anyone with a Cosmic has noticed the same crackling sound.

Jun 30, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 8
my new cosmic doesn't seem to have this problem.

just to compare settings...

i use mine mostly with bright or brighter, process is always on and the gain on medium or high.

one thing about the last setting, it seems to work out for me that i don't often get the volume that far up there.

next time i use my cosmic (in about half an hour!) i'll try it without the gain and see if i can get the volume that high for an extended period and see if there is any crackling, or snapping or popping for that matter.

matthew

Jun 30, 2002 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by matthewd5
my new cosmic doesn't seem to have this problem.

just to compare settings...

i use mine mostly with bright or brighter, process is always on and the gain on medium or high.

one thing about the last setting, it seems to work out for me that i don't often get the volume that far up there.

next time i use my cosmic (in about half an hour!) i'll try it without the gain and see if i can get the volume that high for an extended period and see if there is any crackling, or snapping or popping for that matter.

matthew

I use bright, the processor is always on, and the gain is at medium.

I heard the crackling, static noise without music playing. With music playing I can't hear the static; however, I don't turn the volume past twelve o'clock (I generally never move it past 10 o'clock) when I'm playing music. Given that I still have heard some static when playing music; it appears to be random, though.

Jun 30, 2002 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 8
My Cosmic is about three weeks old. I don't normally have the volume that high, but I did a test with it turned way up and there wasn't any sound external to the music. I also turned it all the way up without any music and it was totally silent. I ran these tests with both the HD600 and SR325, since I use different Gain and Brightness combinations for each, and the results were the same. I think you need to call Headroom Monday morning.

Jun 30, 2002 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by DeanA
I think you need to call Headroom Monday morning.

That's what I'm going to do. Thanks.

Jul 2, 2002 at 1:35 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Walt Milliken
I had mine repaired by Headroom due to this problem. Now no crackling sound anywhere on the POT. This problem is not inherent, but may be due to a bad batch of parts for the Cosmic.

Funny, but I called HeadRoom today and they told me that it was inherent in the Cosmic. As long as I wasn't hearing it while playing music (which I'm not), it should be o.k. However, based on your post, Walt, I think I need to call them again. . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back