Problems with an old amp
Dec 17, 2007 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

intoflatlines

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently picked up this pretty old receiver/amp thing, a JVC A-G90. It used to belong to my aunt and she gave it to my parents and then it started acting up so they were going to throw it away and I decided to give it a shot to see if I could figure out what the problem was.

I have the signal coming from the source via 3.5mm to RCA jacks into the graphic EQ part of the system (JVC SEA-G90), and from the line out of the EQ to the DAD input via RCA on the back. I am using the headphone out jack on the front of the unit.

The problem is that when the source level is low or there is a quiet section in the song that I am listening to, the left channel seems to cut out, lose volume, distort, or a combination of those things.

Right now I have made the output on my source the highest it can go, and it seems that the problem has gone away for the most part, but when the level drops, the left channel cuts out. When the level picks back up, the left channel makes a "fizzle" sound and gradually comes back in over the course of ~.5 seconds.

What's the deal with this? This thing is very old and very dusty on the inside. Should I just take off the cover and blast some air in there to get the dust out and maybe see what's going on in there? Or do older amps just get messed up eventualy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back