problems traveling with amp?
Jan 19, 2006 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MatsudaMan

aka JohannesBrahms, KittlesLittles, Bigglesworth.
is it true that people have had problems taking headphone amps on planes?

Jan 19, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 10
Last month, I took a flight to SF. In my gear pouch, I had with me iPod, Porta Corda MkII, and PX100. I was asked by the x-ray screener what they were, and I told him. There were no other questions and I passed through.

I have to mention that I was traveling with my wife and two little kids (5, 2)... probably not the typical profile of a would-be terrorist psycho.

Jan 19, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 10
your story makes things a little clearer for me. someone on another thread said that his was confiscated 'cause of it being home brewed and having "wierd" circuitry. i think his was probably an odd case. i don't think i'd have problems with pa2v2 would i?

Jan 19, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 10
Well I just flew with my Ack Dack in my carry-on luggage. The TSA officers at the x-ray machine saw it and unpacked my bag until they could look at it, repacked my bag and sent me on my way. They actually never even asked what it was. I also didn't have any problems flying with a MINT (homebuilt in a mint tin), but I only flew with it one time.

Jan 19, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 10
I flew to Germany going through checks here in San Antonio, in Detroit, and in Frankfurt without a problem. Flying back was the same.

Jan 19, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 10
just landed in Dallas with a headroom airhead and micro amp. no problem except this idiot left the cardas mini to mini back in ny. off to bestbuy for a temporary fill in

Jan 20, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #7 of 10
I built a Mint specifically for travelling but after hearing some confiscation stories I decided against taking it on a plane. I ordered a PortaCorda MKII instead and have flown a half dozen times with it without any problems (knock on wood)

Jan 20, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #8 of 10
I've had no problems traveling nationaly or internationally with a Headroom Total Bit Head and the various cables. It has been pulled out for inspection a few times, but nothing more serious than powering on the component.

TSA folks are getting better at identifying common consumer equipment. Homebrew amps might be an entirely different issue though.

Jan 21, 2006 at 10:49 AM Post #9 of 10
My experience is the same as everyone else - carrying an amp and usually 2 pairs of headphones to make me look even stranger, has had no reaction from airport officials throughout Europe and Asia. I have never been questioned about them, and I do a fair amount of travelling.

Jan 21, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #10 of 10
Guess what guys... headphone amps don't look like bombs (and vice-versa).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back