Problems recabling AKG K81DJ
Nov 8, 2006 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nomada

Head-Fier
EDIT: Problem solved; they do still work. It seemed to be the wax-like coating on the wire(nearly invisible)that interrupted the signal path. Thanks to all.

(If this is in the wrong forum please move mods)

I snagged the cable of my brand new headphones & ripped the wire completely in two(broke in the middle of the cable). I first tried to rewire w/ the original cable; no luck. I then tried a different cable from an old pair of headphones. Again, no luck.

Now I didn't resolder the cable, but I did twist the cable pair at the driver(previous solder joints appear intact). Note, this was just to see if I could get them working.

I can't get sound out of either driver after numerous attempts. Any ideas? Could I have wrecked both drivers to the point of them making absolutely no noise? Could there be a ground connection I'm missing(I've only connected 4 wires(2 on either side)). Any ideas? This has become quite frustrating. If I can just get them working again then I planned on recabling them properly.

Nov 9, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 8
I don't have camera cantsleep. Really though, should there be any reason why when I rewire the drivers they don't produce any sound? I burnt off the insulation & was sure not to cross the wires.

Also, do any of you know if PX100 drivers would be the same size as AKG K81DJ drivers? I was thinking of swapping them, but don't want to rip apart the PX100 if they're not gonna fit.

Nov 9, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 8
Oh dear god the sacriledge! By all means if you have any soldering skills start from scratch with some decent new cable and do a complete recable. It'll sound better than stock and give you the chance to tailor the cord length to your liking.

Nov 10, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 8
Like I said, if I can just verify that they work, then I'll recable them properly. I've never attempted soldering, but I was either gonna practice first or get a buddy to do it.

My question is though, is there any way to damage the drivers so that they wouldn't emit any noise at all when recabled(albeit sloppily). 'Cause that's what seems to be going on.

Also, if anyone knows whether the PX100 & K81DJ drivers are the same size; I'd like to know.

Nov 10, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 8
i suppose you don't have a multimeter?

one possibility is you didn't keep ground to ground, hot to hot. that or you have another short you don't know about. recabling the DJs is easy but you do need a soldering iron. i did mine and SWT's and they were pretty straightforward to do.

Nov 10, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #8 of 8
I'm almost possitive it's in the cable. For both drivers to not be making any sound at all is very suspect. If they were making a bunch of static I'd say you probably fried 'em, but no noise is almost surely the cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back