problems installing Creative Audigy Value 2
Apr 6, 2006 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mahatef

New Head-Fier
bought the Audigy value 2 today, and i'm having problems installing it.
it's an EM version, so i got only an Installation CD with it.

first, i installed the entire package from the CD, and after a restart i got this error message while trying to play mp3 etc:
untitled1ao.jpg

after it, i entered 2 the evice manager, clicked on "update audio controller" and let XP install it automatically. it actually helped, and i could play sound, but the quality was very crappy (like an on-board card).

so i uninstalled it all, and downloaded this driver:
http://files.creative.com/manualdn/D..._2_08_0004.exe
after it, i could understand whyppl recommended this sound card
340smile.gif
. it's my first non-onboard card and it's great.
just a little problem left, with the driver i installed there wasn't included any Mixers or Advanced options! only thing i can do is change the EQ =\.

tried to install the mixer and such an options seperaitly from the sound card's original disk, but it didn't worked!

so which driver should i use, which includs the hall package!?

Apr 6, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 9
Who recommended you the audigy 2 value?

Creatives drivers are abominable, I remember having to spend hours getting my Live! card to work in windows 98 because i had to assign IRQs for everythign manually. What to do is remove every single trace of audio drivers from your machine for all and any cards, then try again with the installation disc, if it continues to play silly buggers take it back to the shop.

Apr 6, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 9
As a Mixer, you can use the Windows Play/Recording Control panels (or install the Creative Software bundle (from CD)). If latter did not installed, the reason is your card is an OEM version. Sometimes you need to modify the PFMod.DLL to get everything working again (not much, some hex editing only
icon10.gif
).

Does that error message come from Winamp plugin or Windows DS setup? You can always reinstal the latest DirectX package (from M$ support).

BTW: Did you disable the onboard sound before installing Audigy?

jiitee

Apr 6, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 9
i guess i asked in the wrong forum, cuz a lot of ppl recommended the Audigy 2
plainface.gif
. u think it's a crapy card?

i didn't disabled the on-board sound card cuz i thought uninstalling it will be enough
blink.gif
(XP can't install it alone).

how can i remove any trace of any sound card's drivers i had? i don't think it's the same trough "ADD/REMOVE programs".

jiiteepee, i have no idea how to modify it! and yes, the card is OEM.

i don't know where the source of the rror coming from (winamp codec or DX). how can i find out?

Apr 6, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mahatef
i guess i asked in the wrong forum, cuz a lot of ppl recommended the Audigy 2
plainface.gif
. u think it's a crapy card?

i didn't disabled the on-board sound card cuz i thought uninstalling it will be enough
blink.gif
(XP can't install it alone).

how can i remove any trace of any sound card's drivers i had? i don't think it's the same trough "ADD/REMOVE programs".

jiiteepee, i have no idea how to modify it! and yes, the card is OEM.

i don't know where the source of the rror coming from (winamp codec or DX). how can i find out?

Creative cards just don't like onboard sounds being present. You can disable it from Device Manager (but doing it from BIOS is recommended).

Try Driver Cleaner to get drivers completely removed.

Updating drivers and software for OEM card is sometimes very painful. There are some installation mods mentioned on DriverHeaven and Creative forums (like ctcomp -mod, pfmod.dll -mod, etc.).

You find which one is the culprit (Winamp's DS plugin or DirectX installation) by using another software w/ DS output mode available. Native Instruments has a freeware player called Traktor DJ Player which can use both modes, DS directly and DS through WDM.

Also, remember set the Audio hardware acceleration and sample rate conversion quality both to max. Both affects on DS audio quality.

jiitee

Apr 6, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 9
Wait a second... the Audigy2 Value (SB0400) is *not* the same as the Audigy SE (or Value, depending on where sold), which is an updated Live! 24-Bit. I think it features a "real" EMU10k DSP, as opposed to the stripped-down CA0106 on the Audigy LS, Live! 24-Bit (SB0410) and Audigy SE/Value (SB0570) - a look onto the card should confirm that.

Apr 6, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
Wait a second... the Audigy2 Value (SB0400) is *not* the same as the Audigy SE (or Value, depending on where sold), which is an updated Live! 24-Bit. I think it features a "real" EMU10k DSP, as opposed to the stripped-down CA0106 on the Audigy LS, Live! 24-Bit (SB0410) and Audigy SE/Value (SB0570) - a look onto the card should confirm that.

I think the card has to be the Audigy 2 Value (SB040x) since driver 02.08.0004 could have been installed. For SE, there is no driver update available.

SBAX_WEBUP_LB_2_08_0004.exe:

This download contains an improved version of the drivers found on the Sound Blaster Audigy®, Audigy 2 series, and Audigy 4 series installation CDs. It also supports Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition.

This download supports the following audio devices only:

* Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy including Platinum and Platinum eX series
* Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 including Platinum, Platinum eX, and Value series
* Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS including Platinum and Platinum Pro series
* Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro and Sound Blaster Audigy 4

This download also includes the following application:

* Creative Audio Console
The application enables you to use the Sound Blaster Audigy, Audigy 2 series, and Audigy 4 series features and functions.

Requirements:

* Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Windows XP Service Pack 2, or Windows 2000
* Sound Blaster Audigy, Audigy 2 series, or Audigy 4 series audio devices listed above

Notes:

* This download will uninstall the drivers for your existing audio device before proceeding with the installation.
* For Audigy 2 and Audigy 4 series only: After updating your driver, download and install Creative MediaSource™ DVD-Audio Player DVDA_PCApp_LB_2_00_75.exe.
* Creative MediaSource DVD-Audio Player is unavailable for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.
* Do not install this driver for the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy LS or Sound Blaster Audigy SE audio device.

jiitee

Apr 7, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 9
I have used Creative PCI and PMCIA cards for years on my pc's because I didn't know there was anything better. I have never owned your particular card. There is a forum on the creative website where you may find a solution; that's where I went to figure out how to fix the numerous problems I have had with every Creative card I ever used.

No problem was ever insurmountable, but I never achieved very good sound with them, particularly for headphone use. For computer speakers, particularly for gaming, I think they are fine once you get the firmware issues settled. The bundled creative software is pretty bloated and cumbersome compared to alternative products.

If you plan on a lot of headphone listening to music rather than gaming with speakers, I'd return it and get something else if you have that option. Your budget is another variable. Indigo makes nice cards for music, and the Total Bithead DAC/AMP beats the pants off of a creative card for headphone listening, based on what I have read and one day of use (got the BitHead today).

Apr 7, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #9 of 9
screw it
mad.gif
. i don't want to go all this trouble just for a freaking S.card. i enabled the on-board again, and will return the value 2 to the store on sunday.
i think it's the time 2 ask for a new recommendation for a sound card, 50-70$ range, for music use on GRADO-SR60 headphones (less is better).
and if u know any stores that ships world-wide (2 israel), plz give me a link for it, cuz the sound card veraity in israel is very low and prices r 2 high.

sorry for my english, i'm at work right now, no babylon here
tongue.gif
thx forur help so far
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back