problem - Xonar ST and JVC HARX700 - VERY quiet!
Aug 20, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #16 of 23

Still very soft even when plugged into Z5500, but when i plugged into my bro's Asus laptop, it's way louder. What?!

Nah even when i unplugged the SPDIF from z5500 and just plugged in headphones ONLY, it was still quiet

Quote:
plug into the z5500's headphone jack instead. the sound card is probably not meant to handle audio out of both outputs at once.

Aug 20, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #18 of 23
- Test headphones on friends rig - sounded awesome so it's not faulty

- Tested 3.5mm to 2x RCA  connected to Z5500 and it's still soft

Also my GTX 480 is sitting very near my sound card as it's taking up 2 PCI-E slots. Could that be a potential problem from video card interfering with the analog output of the xonar ? Some photos below

http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/428154/?s=

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #19 of 23
The stx has some very good shielding.  My set up is similiar to yours except i have the stock blower coolers on my cards.  heres a pic how its laid out.  Everything is whisper quiet on my end.   Maybe take the xonar out and see if the opamps are seated properly.  The fans face up at the card?

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #20 of 23
Let's review what you have done so far:

-Elimated the headphone as the problem- you tested them on another system.  However, since the phones need an extension jack, i would verify both connections (into extension, into headphone jack), I do the sometimes with my DT990's into the Front Port- it requires an extension that I really need to make sure I plug in until it clicks into place.

- The phones seem to have an impedence of 48, which is enough for the ST to drive at it's lowest default setting.

What you have NOT elimated yet (RiceEatin is has touch on these):

- Your computer OS (please tell us what you have- I assuming Windows)
- Your driver set-up (the pic you display)
- The ST card itself.

Suggested Next Steps:

• OS=Is the ST a new install that you just did?  If so, you need to do the following: Disable the audio options in the BIOS; use driver cleaner program to clear out any old audio drivers.
  • Driver=  AFAIK, the ST can only be set-up for either rear(which you are using) or front (FP headphones).  So, I would stop trying to connect it through the Z's for right now.  If you have a front port headphone, I would try setting up the driver for that first.  Once you switch that drop down to FP headphones, you should click on the little play button to test the left and right channels.  You could then switch the drop down back to Headphones and plug into the rear jack.
  • ST Card= Once you have tested all of the above, it would then be time to look at the card itself. 

Please try everything I mentioned above first, then let us know the results.

Sep 9, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #21 of 23
any update on this?  I just helped someone with a similiar issue on another forum and it was due to the power cable at the end of the card being loose.  Try to unplug it and replug it in.

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #22 of 23
+1 to the above, I encountered similar problems, and it turned out it was the molex connector from the PSU. Assuming your PSU is modular, check the power cable properly. Uninstall drivers, reinstall them.

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #23 of 23
press the hammer next to the output selecter and add gain according to your headphones impedance tried that?4

my stx is as close  aswell to my gtx480 ive got like a 5-7mm gap between them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back