Problem with Zu Mobius
Jan 6, 2006 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mxs1030

500+ Head-Fier
Just recieved a v2 from Zu Cables after sending in my v1 for repairs.However, I'm having alot of trouble getting a snug fit with the v2, the connector pins make contact with another, but the fit is very loose in comparison to stock. I can only get one "click" when I insert the cable, I fear that the outer cup's connecter housing may be too stripped.

My connectors have already be 'de-virginized' by the original v1 connectors, but the v2s just seem near impossible to fit.

Edit: somes pics of the problem in my gallery

Jan 6, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 12
I have to admit I don't fully understand your post and I am not sure what you mean by "connector pins make contact with another" or "the outer cup's connecter housing may be too stripped." I also don't know if v.1 connectors were different, so ignore me if I am being too obvious, but mine look like the ones in your pics. I don't have my phones with me to check, but it does not look like the Zu is fully seated in the pics. There is a gap that probably should not be there. Try to push it straight in until there is no gap visible and it should be firm and not loose in any way. Mine sometimes seems like they are in, but actually need to go in further. Usually the problem people have is the opposite of the housing being stripped. It is usually the plastic parts preventing the connector from sliding in fully. Again, sorry if I am missing your point. Good luck.

Jan 6, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
I have to admit I don't fully understand your post and I am not sure what you mean by "connector pins make contact with another" or "the outer cup's connecter housing may be too stripped." I also don't know if v.1 connectors were different, so ignore me if I am being too obvious, but mine look like the ones in your pics. I don't have my phones with me to check, but it does not look like the Zu is fully seated in the pics. There is a gap that probably should not be there. Try to push it straight in until there is no gap visible and it should be firm and not loose in any way. Mine sometimes seems like they are in, but actually need to go in further. Usually the problem people have is the opposite of the housing being stripped. It is usually the plastic parts preventing the connector from sliding in fully. Again, sorry if I am missing your point. Good luck.

Sorry, I'm pretty bad at describing this so I'll throw up a pic.

http://www.zucable.com/media/stock/mobiusSen.gif

This is a pic of the v1 mobius from their site, as you can see, there is a horizontal notch right below the pins. The v1 work by "clipping" the inside edge of the outer housing.

http://photo.head-fi.org/showphoto.p...00&ppuser=7700

The V2 , as seen in this pic http://photo.head-fi.org/showphoto.p...00&ppuser=7700 have vertical notches instead. They work by gripping the seams on the inside of outer housing.

http://photo.head-fi.org/showphoto.p...00&ppuser=7700

There are usually two 'clicks' when attaching the zu mobius, one for clipping the outer housing, and the other for clipping inside. My Zu is only connecting with the inside, since the seams are too stripped to provide any grip.

I hope that cleared some of it up..

Jan 6, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 12
So I have the v.1 after all, and cannot offer any assistance other than to say that maybe you can get new housings from Sennheiser (I mean the piece with the teeth in your edited2 pic). Not at all sure about availability either. Good luck figuring it out.

Jan 6, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #5 of 12
I have the same problem with my v-2s and I never had the V1 to strip the housing. I ended up using a black coffee stirring straw (about 2 centemeters) crammed in the side to stop it from wiggling. it works well and since the straw is black its not noticable.

I do think that zu needs to find a a good fitting size however. I feel like goldie locks in the 3 bears story. The v-1 is too hot and the v-2 is too cold.

Jan 6, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for the help, I ended up cutting up some small pieces of straw for the snug fit. Will probably call up Sennheiser tommorow to see if I can get the part replaced, until then it's a bit unasthetic, but gets the job done.

Jan 7, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 12
I haven't bothered checking the fit on my balanced Zu Mobius V2 as my amp is not here yet, until I read this thread. Mine does not fit snugly either; the connectors wiggle in place. I had a single-ended Zu Mobius V1, which I had no fit problems whatsoever, prior to the V2 so that may have something to do with the loose fit.

This bothers me enough to return it. Too bad as I was going to compare the Mobius against the Equinox in balanced mode.

Jan 7, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #8 of 12
I want to hear that comparison Pat! Can't you hold onto them a little longer and tell Zu there is a problem? Up to you, obviously, but that would be a cool comparison.

Jan 7, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
I want to hear that comparison Pat! Can't you hold onto them a little longer and tell Zu there is a problem? Up to you, obviously, but that would be a cool comparison.

Unfortunately, my 60 day return period will end January 14, 2006 and Mikhail is nowhere near finishing my amp. If I am not satisfied with the Equinox in balanced mode, I guess I will try a balanced grace five two next.

Jan 7, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 12
I also use Zu Mobius v2 on my HD-650s, and mine don't wiggle
icon10.gif
. They were quite easy to insert (unlike the how the #@%& do I get them in descriptions I had read about the v1) and they have been firmly in place ever since. Note that prior to the Zu I only used the Oehlbach cables Dr. Meier sent me with the phones (never did try the original cables...).

Bruno

Jan 7, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #11 of 12
Oh well, the Grace will be a good option. Still, if you return them for the "defect" regarding the connection, can you get another 60 days? Not the most ethical behavior for an officer of the court, I know, but just curious.
biggrin.gif

BTW, I didn't know you were still waiting for the SDS-XLR!? Bummer.

Jan 18, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #12 of 12
Update:

I finally received my new unstripped housings from Sennheiser Co, unfortunately this did NOT fix the problem, the connection is as loose as before. Seems the problem is completely cable side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back