Problem with: Zu Cable - Mobius Replacement for HD580/600
Oct 14, 2003 at 8:04 PM Post #16 of 27
I can't say anything on the subject as I didn't get a cable with a Neutrik. The two cables i've gotten do not have plugs which look the same as the picture (different 1/4" plugs and the connectors aren't grey and white).

To illustrate the changes in the 1/4" plug and the connectors, i've taken a picture of both side by side.

I apologize for the quality (or lack thereof) of these pictures, I had to hold the webcam in one hand, the connectors in the other, and still figure out how to click my mouse to take the picture.

ZuConn.jpg

The top one is the original connector. The bottom is the new connector. The new connector is about half a millimeter less wide. Also notice the little indents in the new connector as opposed to the old. Also, the white dot is on one side of the new connector (it should point outward when connected to your headphone) whereas the old one had the dot on both sides.

Zubothplugs.jpg

Again, the top one is the old plug. The bottom is the new. I tried to get the webcam to register the "Switchcraft" text around the new connector but it wouldn't focus well enough. You can tell where the Switchcraft is written. If you notice on the old connector, there is a coppery tinge where the "male" part of the plug meets the uh... bigger part (These are technical terms by the way). This is not an error on the part of the camera, it is in fact slightly coppery-gold in color. Whether the lack of that portion of the plug makes a difference in sound quality (the Switchcraft is all silver colored) remains to be seen.

Oct 14, 2003 at 9:52 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by itza2mer
From the photo on their website, it looked like they were using a Neutrik NP3C 1/4" stereo plug. I wonder if they were having reliability issuses with the Neutrik plugs? Cardas used Switchcraft plugs (which are good plugs) with some of their early Senn cables.

I posed the question to Adam at Zu. His response is as follows:

"Yes we were going to use the Neutrik plug but the Switchcraft just offers a much more solid and consistent termination. We liked the look of the Neutrik but it just isn't as well built as the Switchcraft which is better for us and the customer."

Oct 21, 2003 at 8:22 PM Post #18 of 27
I sent an email to info@zucable.com 2 days ago and haven't received an answer yet...
frown.gif

You all seem to know this Adam fellow at Zu - is there any other way to contact him besides phone ?( I live outside the u.s. )

Thx!

Oct 21, 2003 at 8:44 PM Post #19 of 27
Axel: Try him again. He has never failed to answer any of my messages.

Oct 21, 2003 at 9:24 PM Post #20 of 27
I can vouch for this, it's taken a couple of days sometimes (I'm sure he's many responses to write) but he's always returned my emails, even when they've been pointless, confused ramblings.

Oct 21, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by futant
I can vouch for this, it's taken a couple of days sometimes (I'm sure he's many responses to write) but he's always returned my emails, even when they've been pointless, confused ramblings.

Thanks futant - you realy calmed me down
redface.gif

BTW does anybody know of a u.s. based online store that you can purchase the Zu Mobius cables ( other than at Zu's site ).

Oct 25, 2003 at 11:44 AM Post #22 of 27
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone was still having any problems being able to plug the revised Mobius connectors into their HD600s? I received my Mobius cable on Monday. Boy was I every excited after reading some of the early reviews. Unfortunately after removing my Blue Clou, I just could not get the Mobius connectors to plug in. I called ZuCable and talked with Adam and he tried to walk me through everything again, but no luck. Adam indicated he had another slightly modified design and sent me another Mobius, which arrived on Wednesday. Unfortunately I still had no luck getting the connectors to plug into my HD600s. I talked with Adam again and we still did not have any answers for why my pair of HD600s were being so stubborn. I got my HD600s from HeadRoom about 2 years or so ago. Adam has provide a return shipper but before I give up I thought I would ask all of you here on Head-Fi for any suggestions.

Oct 25, 2003 at 5:37 PM Post #23 of 27
Do you know what is causing the plug to not fit?

Compare your HD600 sockets to the one in my terrible diagram. Does your HD600 socket have the little nubs? If so, try looking at the socket when you're plugging the cable in. Does it appear as if the connector is impacting the nub? The other indication that the nubs are a problem is if you had applied some force to get the connectors in, the nubs should show signs of being scraped.

However, if you do not have the nubs, then I don't know what the problem could be.

Try comparing the size of the Zu connector with your Clou cable connector. They should be the same width. Besides that, the only other thing I can think of is that the pins on the connectors are of differing sizes, so perhaps you have em turned around.

Oct 25, 2003 at 7:09 PM Post #24 of 27
I have the same design as your diagram. The connectors just won't seem to get past nubs on the side. My thumb is sore from trying to press the connectors in. The nubs do now look scrapped after trying to force the connectors in.

With the revised design with the dot on the outside, I am pretty confident that I have the connectors lined up. They just won't get past the nubs.

I did line up the Clou connector with the Mobius connectors. From visual inspection, they appear to be the same size. The difference is the Clou connectors are plastic compared to the Mobius' alumunim construction. It's possible the plastic gives enough for the fit, whereas the Mobius' alumunim ones won't.

Oct 25, 2003 at 7:15 PM Post #25 of 27
If they are the new connectors, there should be no problems getting past the nubs.

However, I am not sure on whether or not the material make up matters. In the end, I ended up filing my nubs off, as you probably know. I don't regret it at all, as old connectors still fit perfectly snug.

This probably isn't an acceptable solution for you though, so I don't know what to tell ya. If you do file the nubs, only file the 2 on the side, and not the 4, they don't really matter.

Oct 25, 2003 at 9:04 PM Post #26 of 27
Thanks for the input. I decided to go ahead and ship both pairs back to Adam. I tried one last time before dropping them off at FedEx, but to no avail. I am not sure why they won't fit. Both pairs had revised connectors, with the last pair more tolerant than any of the earlier one.

Oct 25, 2003 at 9:05 PM Post #27 of 27
Try some "Nevr-Dull- Magic Wadding Polish" from the Walmart Auto supply department (or from any auto store) on the Zu connectors. It should cost less than $5, and you can use it to clean other audio connectors. It will not damage the connectors or the Senn plastic. Sometimes a connector will 'grab' on me, and I use 'Nevr-Dull' on the connector to clean and polish the 'metal' surface. Make sure any metal polish you buy is recommended for aluminum (read the label!).

Note: I was writing this before you decided to send both cables back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back