problem with volume...
May 4, 2004 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TheMuffinMan_01

500+ Head-Fier
i just got my perreaux and when i turn it to the volume i like it is louder on the right than the left because the volume is too low... when i turn it up so that is gone, its way too loud... should i get one of those attenuator things from headroom or is there another way around this...

May 4, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 11
Volume pots,even high quality ones,don't have very good channel balance at low volumes.I have found this to be a problem with sensitive cans where you only need to turn the volume control a fraction to get a good level but you are still in the region of the volume pot where the channel balance isn't so good.You will need to attenuate the signal going into the amp.

May 4, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
You will need to attenuate the signal going into the amp.

how?

plainface.gif
@ the limit dohickey

May 4, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 11
In the UK Rothwell make RCA plugs which fit onto your existing interconnects and give about 11db of attenuation and Russ Andrews do interconnects with attenuation built into the plugs and give between 10db and 20db of attenuation.I don't know what's available in Canada or the States which does a similar job.

May 4, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #7 of 11
They will go on the end of the interconnect that goes into the amp,I would go for 12db as 6db might not be enough.

As for sound degradation,I have used the Rothwell ones (in the past) with no obvious difference.

May 4, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #8 of 11
Get the 12dB ones, 6dB is marginal and won't be enough to make much of a difference. In theory there's some quality degradation in sound quality, but it's small enough you won't notice it on your equipment.

May 5, 2004 at 12:19 PM Post #9 of 11
I'd be pretty sure the comments so far about the problem being a low volume one associated with the pot are correct, but in case it's of interest this review talks about a channel imbalance at high volumes:

http://www.perreaux.com/files/Australian_Australian_Hi-Fi_-_SXH1_(Stephen_Dawson).pdf

Also, if it's an obvious imbalance at a remotely sensible volume I'd be tempted to contact the supplier as it's a new unit.

Actually, the Perreaux comes with a unit specific measured data sheet doesn't it? Does this show anything to suggest the imbalance being heard?

Just a few thoughts,

Martin

May 5, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back