Problem with the headphone jack
Jun 25, 2014 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Birghtest

New Head-Fier
Hello,
Got a weird problem with my brother's earphones.

The jack has some round scratches due to heavy use and sometimes the left earpiece just stops working with his smartphone, no matter how much you try to move it and correct it.

On some devices the left side won't work, including the laptop. But once you plug it in another device (for example an ipad) it will suddenly work flawlessly again! 

The strange part is, when you plug it to his phone afterwards, both sides will work just fine again not matter how much you move it, same for the laptop...  Then after a while the problem occurs again... and we have to plug them in the ipad again to fix that issue... this started just recently
It's still under warranty, the problem is that they work fine with some devices

Any ideas what could be the problem? the scratches aren't that bad at all and there's no static.

Thanks 
smile.gif

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 6
The problem is that the plug is a "fancy" angled one, with a uniquely shaped thin cable. 
The other, more important reason, is that there's is still another year of warranty left, so changing the plug is out of the question.
I thought maybe the problem was with something else, as I have absolutely no idea how the headphone jack works.

I'd take it to the store, but I really doubt they'll do something about it as it works with the majority of devices just fine. Might just blame the smartphone... even though other headphones works just fine with it.

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 6
  The problem is that the plug is a "fancy" angled one, with a uniquely shaped thin cable. 
The other, more important reason, is that there's is still another year of warranty left, so changing the plug is out of the question.
I thought maybe the problem was with something else, as I have absolutely no idea how the headphone jack works.

You can get a multimeter and check , if that's all fine and dandy .....replace it (Warranty Replace)

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks!
What exactly should I be checking? If the problem could be verified with a multimeter, the headphones wouldn't be working at all, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back