Problem with Sony MDR-V6 and Macbook Pro
Sep 22, 2009 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ssss

New Head-Fier
Hi! First off, I'm new here, so apologies in advance if I'm posting in the wrong section.

I got a new pair of Sony MDR-V6's today. They sound terrific, but I'm having a problem when connecting them to my Macbook Pro 13 inch (2009). It seems as if the 3.5mm jack isn't going in all the way, and when fully inserted, can be pulled out with minimal force, and can spin freely (moreso than other headphones would). I'm getting full audio, but the slightest movement causes the headphones to get yanked out.

I've tried other headphones on the MBP (my Etymotic ER6i's fit perfectly, and stay in as expected), and tried the MDR-V6's on my iPod, which was also a tight, snug fit.

I'm guessing I'm either looking for a solution that someone else with a similar configuration is doing, or, a headphone extension cord of minimal length?

Any help would be much, much appreciated. Thanks!

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #2 of 6
First for all, welcome to head fi and sorry about your wallet!

I have a macbook as well, and I suffer from the same problem. Except it's with Grado SR80i and AKG 240S. My IEMs don't seem to have a problem.

Apparently this is a widespread problem with the unibody macs, there is really nothing you can do about jack. I try my best not to move, usually I am running it off of an amp and my interconnect has connection problems as well.

The best solution I have come up with is using the USB port. By getting a USB amp (or DAC) and running your headphones from that, you'll get a better quality signal and it won't come loose. I have a hotaudio Destroyer DAC coming soon bc there is a sale and $10 shipping but I also had an iBasso D10 USB Amp/DAC and it worked perfectly.

So, in conclusion... try doing a little research into usb amps or DACs here and also keep searching google for "problem with headphone jack on macbook".

Also, something else I discovered. When you put in headphones, here is a memory for the volume. So, two diff volumes: one for the headphones and one for the speakers... If you happen to pull the headphones out, the speakers will go on their volume from before. Basically put the volume on mute before you plug the headphones in so if they get wiggled out, your music or movies won't be blaring across the room.

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #3 of 6
Oh, and your thread should have probably been posted in Computer Audio because it's more for a computer problem than headphone problem!

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #5 of 6
I don't do Mac, don't know Mac esoterica. But maybe, just maybe the jack adapters that were designed for the early iPhone that had the recessed jack would work. Something like this. Or google for "iPhone jack adapter" for other flavors.

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #6 of 6
I think you have the same problem as me. The headphone jack on the MacBook can no longer hold any 3.5mm plugs snugly anymore (due to a bent plug from an interconnect).

Thankfully, Apple promised me they'll replace the whole entire logicboard since I was still under warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back