Problem with Sony MDR-EX71SL's - Opinions Please
Dec 21, 2004 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

azmodien

New Head-Fier
I just wanted to hear other peoples opinions on these phones because I am not happy with the pair I just bought. I am not an audiophile by any means as I have been enjoying some cheapie buds until now. But these new Sonys dont even sound as good as my cheap $12 pair of Sony Fontopias.

I was extremely disappointed with the performance after my first listen, the treble is EXTREMELY shrill and harsh with an overall distorted sound. The vocals are very "Lispy". There is definately plenty of detail but the harshness of the treble makes me cringe. There is no way any person could find these pleasant to listen to.

They dont sound like they are defective, they just sound cheap. I tried using the larger plugs, but there is not much difference. They are definatley seated in my canals correctly.

I am currently trying to burn them in. I have been playing them loudly for a few days straight with a mix of different types of music. So far though, there is not much noticable difference.

Does anyone have any experieces they could share? a few days seems like more than enough burn-in time. bottom line: DO THESE EVER SMOOTH OUT?

Any help is appreciated.

Dec 21, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 13
Im also no audiophile (at the moment
wink.gif
) but my EX-71's were a noticable improvement on my stock iriver phones. At times the treble does get harsh but for me i'm happy with the sound from mine.

Dec 21, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by azmodien
a few days seems like more than enough burn-in time. bottom line: DO THESE EVER SMOOTH OUT?

No.

Dec 21, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 13
Theres no way anyone could like these. They dont even sound as good as my ultra-low-end Sony MDR-818LPs.

I think I might have to make due with the stock sennheisers that came with my Rio Carbon. They're actullay pretty decent.

Dec 21, 2004 at 4:51 AM Post #6 of 13
I think I might have to just get rid of them and get something better.

I heard the shure e2's are good but they dont have a lot of bass. Is this true?

What are some good ear buds that offer rich and full sound at a reasonable price?

Dec 21, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #7 of 13
If you're looking for the EX71's bass in another canalphone in the same price range, good luck. The EX71's have extremely bloated bass, so something with balanced low and high ends will sound "weak" in comparison.

Dec 21, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

I heard the shure e2's are good but they dont have a lot of bass. Is this true?

*wrong answer buzzer* Nope they have pretty flabby bass.

I have owned the E2, EX71 and the E3. I think that the E2 and EX-71 should be in direct comparisson. I didn't hate the sound of the EX71s nor the E2s, but the E3 is way ahead of them both. From what I have seen and heard the 71s just don't work for some people. I can't understand why anyone would find the 71s to sound worse than their cheapest earbuds, but it boils down to personal preference and how the shape of your ear and such affects what you hear from the phones.

Dec 21, 2004 at 6:38 AM Post #10 of 13
I really liked the sound of EX71 with my Karma with EQ OFF, try to EQ it out a little on your carbon? You're probably not used to it, you will get used to the sound..and you will enjoy it later..I didn't like the sound too much also when I first listened to it

Dec 21, 2004 at 7:31 AM Post #11 of 13
I agree with you 100%

Lots of bass, midbass and treble. NO mids
frown.gif

Try using your EQ to tame the treble. I have a 4db boost at 3200Hz, a 4db cut at 12000Hz, and I adjust the bass to taste. Only then are they tolerable.... In fact after some mid-EQ they sound pretty good (IMHO).

Youre gonna get lots of folks telling you to trash them (which is purely stupid... no one but your own ears can tell you what sounds good / bad) IMHO they have some potential with intelligent EQ adjustments. Hopefully your MP3 player has a flexible enough EQ.

They sound better amped too IMHO (unless your MP3 player has a good amp circuit built-in). Even a cheap OP amp based circuit can extend the sub bass and clean up the midbass. My creative nomad headphone amp sucks.

Im listening to Dokken right now and George Lynch's thick Marshall JCM overdrive tones are thick and fat. After EQ, Stewart Adamsons jangly overdrive tones are clean but not piercing at all.

Im happy with mine, for $25 I had low expectations to begin with and didnt expect too much. The fact that I found them remotely useable makes them a good choice for me. IMHO the midbass cleans up a little too with some break-in.

Jusat my thoughts... Good Luck to you...

Garrett

Dec 21, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Youre gonna get lots of folks telling you to trash them (which is purely stupid... no one but your own ears can tell you what sounds good / bad)
Garrett

I double that...they work for me as sub $70(in aus) canalphones. Mebbe you're not getting the right fit? I found they sound much, much better when I have a sort of vaccum(put them in deep...then pull them out slowely till you get a 'vaccum')created in the ear.
hope that helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #13 of 13
Have you tried switching to the smallest size headphones and slowly inserting them in your ear canal? The small foamy changes the sound dramatically compared to the medium size. As I have had them for over a year, the sound DOES NOT change after a burn in..I suggest returning them if you are not pleased with them and get something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back