Problem with Schiit Mjolnir
Mar 8, 2014 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

VidFail

New Head-Fier
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but here it goes...

Okay, so I have a Schiit Gungnir/Mjolnir stack powering my LCD-X, using my gaming PC as the source. However, my Mjolnir seems to create a buzz through the right ear cup. This buzzing persists even if the volume dial is turn completely down and doesn't grow louder when the volume is turned up. It is just a persistent buzz. 

I'm pretty sure it's the Mjolnir, because when plugging my EF-5 amp into Gungnir, there is no longer a constant buzz in the ear cup. The right cup is also silent if I plug my headphones directly into my sound card, or use the 1/4" to 1/8" jack adapter to plug them into my phone. I suppose it could be a problem with the balanced Audeze cable that came with my phones, or a problem with the Schiit PYST XLR cables I'm using to connect Gungnir to Mjolnir. 

Also, I have all my equipment plugged into a Tripp Lite IS500HG Medical-Grade Isolation Transformer, so I'm pretty confident it's not some AC noise that the hyper-sensitive Mjolnir is picking up. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this might be? Otherwise I'll probably send it back to amazon and get another one. If it comes back and has the same buzz, then it's something else in my system. I'm not sure what though.

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 8
Bump? HALP 
frown.gif

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 8
Have you tried another pair of interconnects? I've experienced noise from PYST in the past, fwiw.

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #5 of 8
Alright, so I tried swapping the left and right XLR cables, and the buzzing was still in the right ear cup. If there was a problem with the cable, wouldn't the buzzing switch to the left ear if I switched both the cables?

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #6 of 8
I solved my issue, so I thought I'd post once more just in case someone discovers this thread in the future. I always hate it when I find a thread on any website where someone is experiencing exactly the same issue I'm having, and the thread is never solved or concluded. Anyway, my solution was to plug Mjolnir into a different outlet. Previously I had Mjolnir, Gungnir, and my PC plugged into the same Isolation Transformer and was getting a buzz in the right ear cup. I plugged Mjolnir into a surge protector that was plugged into a completely different outlet, and the buzz disappeared. Now the background is completely black and noise-free. Fantastic. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 8
Having the exact same problem. I even returned the original Mjolnir to Schiit but the replacement has the same issue. I can get full silence if I ensure all noisy devices are off but no matter what, I still get noise / crackling on deep bass hits like at the start of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGCtyvWAE3g. I just bought the IS500HG. Hopefully, it fixes it. Thanks for posting this.

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 8
The IS500HG fixed my problem. Mjolnir sounds so much better now overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back