Problem with playbacking FLAC files in Windows Media Player?
Feb 20, 2014 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dakanao

Headphoneus Supremus
So I just downloaded WMP Tag Plus with the Media Foundation FLAC Codec pack, and while the FLAC files do play fine in WMP, I can't playback most FLAC files in Windows Media Player, only on 4 songs. So how can I playback ALL the FLAC files?

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 10
WMP is not meant to play FLAC, why not just use Foobar?. it's free, sounds better
and plays anything,

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #5 of 10
  So I just downloaded WMP Tag Plus with the Media Foundation FLAC Codec pack, and while the FLAC files do play fine in WMP, I can't playback most FLAC files in Windows Media Player, only on 4 songs. So how can I playback ALL the FLAC files?

Because I prefer the media library of WMP, it's way more easier than foobar. I tested it out, and it had a slightly warmer sound than WMP.

Nobody uses windows media player to play flac. This has been asked and answered countless times around the internet, if you'd bothered to do a search.

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #7 of 10
  Well, my problem has been solved. WMP DOES play FLAC now properly. 

Just a fair warning if you installed new CODECs - it caused a number of conflicts on my XP (and a Vista laptop before I got XP for it) computers. I can't remember anymore how exactly those happened, but basically it would conflict with iTunes and the video player I downloaded because WMP had no codecs (at the time, maybe it has now) for some video formats. I installed VLC and Foobar (later MediaMonkey; VLC's file browsing for music wasn't doing it for me) and removed the new CODECs, problem solved.

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #8 of 10

Just a fair warning if you installed new CODECs - it caused a number of conflicts on my XP (and a Vista laptop before I got XP for it) computers. I can't remember anymore how exactly those happened, but basically it would conflict with iTunes and the video player I downloaded because WMP had no codecs (at the time, maybe it has now) for some video formats. I installed VLC and Foobar (later MediaMonkey; VLC's file browsing for music wasn't doing it for me) and removed the new CODECs, problem solved.

I don't notice anything weird with my other programs now I installed those codecs... What player had the best sound quality for your FLAC files?

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 10
  I don't notice anything weird with my other programs now I installed those codecs...

Mine didn't start happening until about a few days in, but of course I wish you better luck
biggrin.gif

What player had the best sound quality for your FLAC files?

Foobar was a little thin for me but that ultimately I just like MediaMonkey more for the UI. Songbird if I remember correctly had a slight bump somewhere; my Dad still uses this one on his computer at home. A few minutes on a good EQ plug-in would make any of them sound like the other though, given the minute tonal differences. Honestly I'm not even 110% sure there were differences or my brain is affected by the color and look of the UI.

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #10 of 10
Because I prefer the media library of WMP, it's way more easier than foobar. I tested it out, and it had a slightly warmer sound than WMP.

If you are going to come to the sound science forum and assert that the playback of a lossless audio format sounds differently from different user interfaces, you had better provide evidence in the form of ABX results, or an explanation that describe/show how one of those flac decoders changes the audio information.

In the meantime, you are asking ill posed questions that have no answers.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back