Problem with Pioneer PL-200x
Dec 5, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #16 of 24
I could try. Although I've no experience with tables, I do recognise a dodgy circuit and these wires and connections all look really good and strong to me. I'll have a look, but it will be over the next few days as I have to replace my hard drive today.

Thanks again

Dec 5, 2007 at 9:38 AM Post #17 of 24
A miracle has happened! I was taking the headshell off to get some shots of the wires etc when it occured to me to play around with the stylus a bit as hciman suggested. Not expecting much I put it back together and we now have stereophonic sound! Hurray!

So...

I have sound, but it's not brilliant sound. Does anyone have an idiots guide to setting up one of these tables correctly?

Thanks

Dean

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by The23rdman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A miracle has happened! I was taking the headshell off to get some shots of the wires etc when it occured to me to play around with the stylus a bit as hciman suggested. Not expecting much I put it back together and we now have stereophonic sound! Hurray!

So...

I have sound, but it's not brilliant sound. Does anyone have an idiots guide to setting up one of these tables correctly?

Thanks

Dean

There is probably not too much you can do to adjust the Pioneer, it probably does not have an adjustable height tonearm. The biggest things are to make sure the cartridge is aligned properly is at the right tracking weight and has the anti-skate set correctly.

A Beginner's Guide to Cartridge Setup

The M75 was a pretty decent budget cartridge I had a couple back in the 1970s and 1980s, so if the sound is *really* bad it may indicate some inherent problem - can you say what you mean by "not brilliant sound", is it distorting, cutting out, noisy, rumbling, do you get a swooshing sound ?

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #19 of 24
There's a bit of a swooshing sound before any music kicks in and a bit of distortion. I've played it with some more vinyl now and it sounds ok. The 1st record I pulled may have been a freak :wink:

I've had a word with a sound engineer friend of mine and he's going to come over next week and set it up for me.

Cheers for all the help :)

Dec 7, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

There's a bit of a swooshing sound before any music kicks in and a bit of distortion. I've played it with some more vinyl now and it sounds ok. The 1st record I pulled may have been a freak :wink:

Now's the time to invest in some cleaning supplies.
smily_headphones1.gif

Specifically, a carbon fiber record brush to clean out the dust. Wet cleaning will come later.
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now's the time to invest in some cleaning supplies.
smily_headphones1.gif

Specifically, a carbon fiber record brush to clean out the dust. Wet cleaning will come later.
wink.gif

I seem to recall a thread somewhere on cleaning vinyl. Does anyone know where it is?

Dec 7, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

I seem to recall a thread somewhere on cleaning vinyl. Does anyone know where it is?

The Shure M75 is a great cart and very versatile because you can still get a variety of stylus profiles for it to play 78s and mono records etc. I have one on my Lenco for this purpose. However it does sound a bit rose-tinted by modern standards with the standard eliptical stylus.

Therefore you should get a JICO SAS replacement stylus for this which is basically a tweaked up Japanese V series profile ( the best Shure ever made ). See here Phonograph Stylus > What's SAS?
This will dig deeper into the grooves than the basic eliptical tip and scan below the noisier upper layers of the vinyl, which will be more likely damaged on 2nd hand records, giving you more detail and less surface noise.

The best cheap cleaning device is the KABUSA barebones version of the Nitty Gritty Vacuum system. It's 100USD and they do ship to England, check their website. It's basically a box with a hole for a vacuum cleaner tube and you manually rotate your record over it which sucks off all the accumulated gunk after cleaning it with special solution.

Dec 10, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #24 of 24
The23rdman;3494267 said:
Is that a link to the exact stylus I needQUOTE]

No look here Phonograph Stylus : Shure

any of the ones which start N75 ought to fit your cart. The differences are in the profile of the stylus. The ones marked SAS are the best quality. Not sure what the difference between N75ED/2 and N75EJ/2 will be, perhaps its just aesthetic, different colour plastic moulding to match the cart body as the SAS stylus should be identical.
N75G is also quite a useful one to get as it's a slightly larger conical stylus tip which is good for mono records.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back