Problem with Pioneer PL-200x
Dec 4, 2007 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

The23rdman

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone
biggrin.gif

This is my first post here, but I've been lurking for a while all the way from the UK.

I've recently made a tentative dip into the vinyl world again by following advice on the low budget vinyl thread here and buying a Pioneer PL-200x with Shure M75EJ type 2 cartridge from eBay.

Unfortunately it arrived with the stylus broken. anyway, I replaced this and set it up the other day to discover sound is only coming from one speaker. I've since tried another deck and it's definately the Pioneer. I think it must have been thrown around in transit.

The guy I bought it from is being very unhelpful and, to be honest, I can't really be bothered to go through the rigmarole of disputing it. I just want my table to work.

so, my question is what could this problem be and how expensive is it likely to be to fix? Best and worse case scenario.

Cheers!

Dean

Dec 4, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by The23rdman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately it arrived with the stylus broken. anyway, I replaced this and set it up the other day to discover sound is only coming from one speaker. I've since tried another deck and it's definately the Pioneer.

Dean

Have you checked that the cartridge is wired up correctly? i.e. are the correct coloured cartridge leads going to the appropriate pins on the cartridge? Numero Uno on my list of things to check.

Dec 4, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Hi Everyone
biggrin.gif

This is my first post here, but I've been lurking for a while all the way from the UK.

I've recently made a tentative dip into the vinyl world again by following advice on the low budget vinyl thread here and buying a Pioneer PL-200x with Shure M75EJ type 2 cartridge from eBay.

Unfortunately it arrived with the stylus broken. anyway, I replaced this and set it up the other day to discover sound is only coming from one speaker. I've since tried another deck and it's definately the Pioneer. I think it must have been thrown around in transit.

The guy I bought it from is being very unhelpful and, to be honest, I can't really be bothered to go through the rigmarole of disputing it. I just want my table to work.

so, my question is what could this problem be and how expensive is it likely to be to fix? Best and worse case scenario.

Cheers!

Dean

Some Possible issues - easiest first -

1) One of the headshell wires - the thin leads from the cartridge has come loose - are all four connected securely - cost nothing

2) One of the headshell wires may have a break in it. If the sound is coming from the Right speaker then we know that the right channel on the cart is fine and the right lead is fine - swap the cartridge wires L-R on the cartridge.

Now, if the Left lead is broken you still wont get sound from the left speaker (good channel bad wire) but you will get sound from the right speaker (from the left channel).

If Not GOTO BAD CARTRIDGE
---------------------------

If you are lucky it is just the headshell wires - cost ~ $5. How to prove this - swap the headshell wires at the headshell end, is the left channel now working ? if so it is the headshell wires.

If that doesnt fix it then the problem is in the wires through the arm or from the inside of the turntable or the output phono leads.

This could be tricky, you would have to take the TT apart to trace the wires as they exit the arm - at this point they will be connected to a set of phono leads. If you are lucky you may see a bad connection and be able to resolder it or you can try wiring in a different set of phono leads ($5).

If this doesnt work then sadly the break is in the arm itself. This is the worst scenario as the arm has a collar arrangement to connect the headshell to the arm and the wires are not immediately accessible. You may be able to take it apart, there may be a small allen bolt or similar underneath and if you are lucky the break will be at the terminals which can be resoldered if not you will have to take the TT apart and rewire it - cost ??

BAD CARTRIDGE
---------------

If the left channel is out on the cartridge then you wont get sound from the right speaker (bad channel good wire) but you will get sound from the left speaker (from the working right channel). In this case it is a new cartridge

--

Dec 4, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

That's great info, thank you. I'll check all of those things. Are there any good manuals etc online so I can be sure I'm testing the correct wires? I'm a complete newbie.

There is a beginners guide here

Turntable Basics Advice Page

it includes standard wiring colour codes - iirc the M75 does have its terminals marked as well, in any case carefully note down the positions of each wire on cart and headshell before messing about. The normal settings are...

Red=Right, ("positive") (Hot)
Green=Right, ("ground")
White=Left, ("positive")(Hot)
Blue=Left, ("ground")

One thing though, when you bought a replacement stylus which one did you buy ? - I think (I may be wrong, memepool can correct me) that the only difference between the M75ED and the M75EJ was the stylus - but the tracking weights are very different. If you bought a N75ED stylus you need to track it at a lower weight than the N75EJ stylus.

Dec 4, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 24
hciman, It's an M75EJ stylus :)

Ok, I've taken the cart off and had a go at pulling the wires, but they're on pretty tight and I don't have the tools to do a decent job without causing damage.

So...

I replaced the stylus and now I have sound in the left channel but not the right. What might this signify?

Dec 4, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

hciman, It's an M75EJ stylus :)

Ok, I've taken the cart off and had a go at pulling the wires, but they're on pretty tight and I don't have the tools to do a decent job without causing damage.

So...

I replaced the stylus and now I have sound in the left channel but not the right. What might this signify?

So, you didnt swap the wires over or did you ?
Did you have sound from the right channel before ?

Dec 4, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

No, I couldn't swap the wires over as they were too tight. Yes, I had sound in the right channel before. Weird, eh?

Aaaaaaaaargggghhhh !

This other (working) turntable you connected , did it have a removeable headshell ? i.e could you swap them over and see if the problem is the same ?

Dec 4, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #13 of 24
So both channels in the cart are capable of outputting a signal, some of the time anyway, when you took the headshell off what did the pins on the back look like - were they nice and clean or corroded/dirty ?.

The phono leads are secure into the amp ?, you didnt inadvertently swap them over ? - I am clutching at straws for an easy answer here.

Ypu could try removing and replacing the stylus a few times and see if the channels spontaneously cut in or out

Dec 4, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #14 of 24
*Hides head in shame* I had the leads in the wrong way. OK, so we're back to square one. Looks like I'll have to get someone to look at it cos I don't have the tools to take it apart.

Thanks for all your help, guys.

Dec 4, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #15 of 24
Have you got a digital camera with which you can take a shot of the headshell with leads and one of the cartridge pins? It might be helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back