Problem with my ER-6i
May 27, 2007 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

lalelale

New Head-Fier
I greatly enjoy my ER-6i etys, but I've recently noticed a problem, which I can hear only in acoustic music, expecially solo piano.
In the left earphone I hear a buzzing sound as if something loose was resonating a certain frequency; the noise is heard more when the volume is high (but not necessarily very high, 3/4 of the iPod volume is more than enough), and only when certain notes are played. In solo piano files, it can be clearly heard and is really disturbing. In other acoustic music I can sometimes perceive it but not as clearly. The problem is not the files (many different sources) nor the iPod (I tried other players as well).

Can you help?

Thanks a lot!

May 28, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 2
Two thoughts....

1. Try switching ears and see if it stays to the same driver. There may be a problem with the driver in that side.

2. Try chaning the filters, at least on the side that's having an issue. Usually having a clogged or partially blocked filter will attenuate the sound, depending on the situation, it may present itself in a different way.

Number one will determine if it's your ears, number two will tell you if it's the filter. If you still end up with the same results, contact Etymotic.

I can tell you from personal experience that Etymotic has fantastic customer support, and have been pretty liberal on warranty times and repairs. I don't know how long you've had your 6is but if it's less than a year, you're still within the warranty period, and have nothing to worry about. If there is a driver issue, they will likely replace it with a new set of headphones.

Good luck
-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back