problem with my eggos
Aug 3, 2005 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Fungee

100+ Head-Fier
ok.. my d66 eggos sound fantastic.. and generally ive been very happy with them... but occasionally/randomly they behave oddly: specifically touching the cord has a sort of tin-can-phone effect... the noise of my hand(or anything) touching the cord is amplified a ton and is very annoying. This isn't a new problem... but it does seem to be happening more and more often lately... which is annoying...

any ideas anyone?

Aug 3, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 12
I think this is a problem with most headphones, i dont think it just started i think you just started to notice it. When you talk or humm can you also hear the "tin can phone effect"?

Aug 3, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 12
it only happens on the side that's wired directly though... and it isn't that i'm just noticing it now...

humming or talking doesn't do anything noticable/unusual... just touching the cord

Aug 3, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 12
interesting... does the condition exist regerdless of which player you use?

thinking it might be an ESD / grounding issue with your player / source...????

My MDRV6 builds up a static charge when I use a radio shack extension cable and plug into my Dennon receiver. I get zapped after ~20 minutes of listening when I touch the metal V6 plug. Freeked me out the first time it happened.

Garrett

Aug 4, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 12
I notice sometimes that when its dry in my room and can rub the cable and the static from my fingers will pop and crackle threw the cable. The electricity in the air zaps the cable and then they discharge into the drivers giving a crackeling static kinda sound.

I noticed it more with the headphones that run the cable up threw the band. The eggos have a 2 layer shilding so i havnt noticed it with them. The wire on eggos is made of somthing that isnt magnetic, i think its titanium or somthing so they dont seem to have this problem.

Aug 4, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by BowerR64
The wire on eggos is made of somthing that isnt magnetic, i think its titanium or somthing so they dont seem to have this problem.

I'm not entirely certain, but since electricity and magnetism are 2 sides of the same coin, a metal that carries current will typically propogate a magnetic field as well.

Although, it may be a mistake in assume the discharge does not convert from a magnetic to electrical form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back