Problem with MG Head OTL
May 31, 2002 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

fredpb

1000+ Head-Fier
Well, I have a minor problems with the MG Head OTL. It works ok, but has a bit of low level static in the right channel. Has it in OTL jack and Transformer jack without feedback. Does not have static with feedback on and using transformer (left) jack.

Yeah, sounds like bad solder joint, wire, or cathode bia resistor.

But the question is, where in the USA can you send them for repair? I won't send it to Canada.

Posted a question in Headroom Forum with no replies.

Anybody ever had the MG Head worked on?

May 31, 2002 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 8
Sounds like a job for a capable DIYer. Maybe you should try to PM Nick Dangerous, maybe he can help.

sorry to hear about your Head!

May 31, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 8
Moi? DIY, yes... repair of commercial equipment, no.
wink.gif

Did you do the power switch tweak:

1) Unplug MG Head.
2) Open the chassis
3) Pop out the power switch
4) Rotate until wires are snug (but not too tight or they will snap off the board)
5) Replace power switch
6) Push wires as far from internal board as possible. Keep 'em against the side of the chassis if you can.

May 31, 2002 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by fredpb
But the question is, where in the USA can you send them for repair? I won't send it to Canada.

fredpb, I've asked this question so many times, almost as the number of my posts counter. Never got any answer.
confused.gif

I'm waiting for an answer with you.

May 31, 2002 at 7:08 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by is2us

fredpb, I've asked this question so many times, almost as the number of my posts counter. Never got any answer.
confused.gif

I'm waiting for an answer with you.

You may also try reversing polarity of the power cord (that was a suggestion given long time ago by chych).

May 31, 2002 at 11:56 AM Post #7 of 8
I believe Nick has got the answer. When I had my MG head, I tape that wire to the side of the chasis, and that fixed the problem. Also, try swtiching the left/right tubes.

Jun 1, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 8
Problem is slight staticy noise, not hum. Got an email from Headroom and they said send it to Canada. I made a mistake buying or product not repairable in the USA. Creek was the same way, my warranty card had to be sent to England.

I will just use the Head with transformer out and feedback on. Sounds ok.

I just being a perfectionist.
frown.gif

I listen to records, and the noise is less than record noise for a good record. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back