Problem with iTunes, Lossless, and Error Correction
Apr 18, 2007 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

royewest

100+ Head-Fier
I've been ripping my CD collection into iTunes for some time, using Apple Lossless Encoding. I'm running iTunes under WinXP/sp2.

I recently ripped a Monk solo piano CD where I can clearly hear a buzzing distortion, as if there were something loose or broken in my headphones. I have determined by a process of replacement and elimination that this is a problem with the files I ripped -- not my hardware or the original CD.

I tried turning on the error correction option in iTunes, to see if it will clean up the problem if I rerip the CD, but when I rip with that option checked, iTunes just very quickly skips reading the data off the tracks on the CD: They tracks are listed in the iTunes window, but there is no data there.

I've tried this on a couple of recently manufactured CD/DVD drives with the same result.

I found one other person reporting this problem on Audiogon, but no one posted a solution.

Has anyone here encountered this problem?

Thanks!

Apr 18, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by royewest /img/forum/go_quote.gif

iTunes just very quickly skips reading the data off the tracks on the CD: They tracks are listed in the iTunes window, but there is no data there.

Thanks!

I have had this happen with copy protected CDs in the past.

Have you got the latest version of iTunes?

Apr 19, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #6 of 8
Hey - rip the CD with something else like EAC and see if you can hear the problem in FLAC format or using another player like winamp (I guess - do people still use Winamp?). Anyway, which Monk solo cd - I might be able to check to see if I hear it too. A lot of those older recordings are pretty badly mastered and/or have a ton of artifacts that must be hard to remove from the original recordings.

Quote:

I've been ripping my CD collection into iTunes for some time, using Apple Lossless Encoding. I'm running iTunes under WinXP/sp2.

I recently ripped a Monk solo piano CD where I can clearly hear a buzzing distortion, as if there were something loose or broken in my headphones. I have determined by a process of replacement and elimination that this is a problem with the files I ripped -- not my hardware or the original CD.

I tried turning on the error correction option in iTunes, to see if it will clean up the problem if I rerip the CD, but when I rip with that option checked, iTunes just very quickly skips reading the data off the tracks on the CD: They tracks are listed in the iTunes window, but there is no data there.

I've tried this on a couple of recently manufactured CD/DVD drives with the same result.

I found one other person reporting this problem on Audiogon, but no one posted a solution.

Thanks!

Sep 23, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

I just 'upgraded' from XP Pro to Vista Ultimate (fresh install on new hard drive). I did not have your problem with XP Pro, I do with Vista Ultimate. My workaround is to turn off error correction. Crappy workaround!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back