problem with Heart CD - essential Heart
Feb 22, 2007 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

omendelovitz

Member of the Trade: Purity Audio
it's a remastered CD sporting 2 discs of all of this 70's/80's rock band's hits. MY problem is that when ripping the CD to FLAC, Crazy on You and Magic Man reveal some serious distortion (read: heavy static) on crash cymbals that completely ruin the song for me. I re-ripped the album and leveled it at 95 dB, which helped kill some of the distortion, but the majority of the static remains. Anyone have any suggestions?

It's crap like this that makes me love it when people like all of mp3 or music stealers stick it to the RIAA. I paid a lot for this CD and can't return it even though it's presentation quality is piss-poor (sorry if that is considered a profanity; mods, please notify if it is and I'll edit).
mad.gif
What's really annoying is that I can't adjust the leveling on my CD player where the distortion remains and can't be adjusted.

Anyone know any tricks or how I can fix this problem?

Feb 22, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 7
Are you saying your original CD has distortion on those tracks? If so you are not going to be able to eliminate it. I would suggest contacting the manufacturer and ask if you can exchange the disc.

Feb 22, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you saying your original CD has distortion on those tracks? If so you are not going to be able to eliminate it. I would suggest contacting the manufacturer and ask if you can exchange the disc.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Problem is that the same track(s) on another Heart greatest hits CD has the same distortions which leads me to believe that the re-mastering and/or volume leveling recorded into the tracks may be bad.

Feb 23, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 7
How old is the CD player you are using to listen to them? Most modern remasters are maxed out at 100% volume levels. Some older DAC chips (10 years or older) sometimes can't reproduce thos peaks at full loudness without distorting. Or, it could just be more bad mastering...
frown.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 7
I'm thinking its bad mastering b/c that same distortion problem occurs even in my ripped files and the computer/Squeezebox/iPod all 'report' the same problem... I guess I was wondering if it was just my experience or if others had the same with this particular CD.

Feb 26, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the information. Are those the only two tracks that have the static problem? I bought my Heart CDs back in the early 90s, so they may be better, although now you made a little paranoid.

Feb 26, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 7
don't worry. I think it's the re-mastered CD's that are the problem. I'll confirm that (I'm downloading an ape version of the original Dreamboat Annie [1976?] album that I will use to compare against the newer CD's. I'll report back once I have some more information to post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back