PROBLEM WITH HD650s
Jun 3, 2005 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

paolo99

New Head-Fier
Just purchased some Senn HD650s. Was really looking forward to them but they distort way before you get to 11 o clock on the volume control and the sound is muddy and tangled. I bought them from a dealer on ebay and I'm starting to think that they may not be authentic, although the dealer has 100% feedback on 530 transactions. BTW I use a Cambridge 640a Azur amp. Any ideas what's going wrong? And please bear in mind that I'm a techno-fool and have no idea what 'too much gain' is....thanks...P

Jun 3, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by perplex
maybe that amp doesnt supply enough power for high impedance headphones like hd650?

So that does mean that I need a separate headphone amp? If so, which one?

Jun 3, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 10
try different sources and amps first, paolo. if necessary visit your neighbours or friends to do so. i can drive mine even through the headphone out of my cdp without distortion... though... sound gets thin there rather fast.

Jun 3, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 10
You need to isolate your headphone problem from your Amp and source.I would first try different headphones in your system.If other headphones sound OK then the problem is probably the cans.

Jun 3, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay
You need to isolate your headphone problem from your Amp and source.I would first try different headphones in your system.If other headphones sound OK then the problem is probably the cans.

Unless the problem is that the amp cannot drive the Senns properly.

Jun 3, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #7 of 10
From Merriam-Webster:

GAIN: the increase (as of voltage or signal intensity) caused by an amplifier

Too much gain means too much signal, which can cause distortion. Too little gain can also cause distortion. I own 650s, and based on my experience they are touchy about gain.

Also, you do know that 650s need to break in, right? I'm as skeptical as the next person regarding break-in, but the sound of my 650s cleared up after about 75-100 hours of use.

Break them in (just let a CD run on repeat), and if that doesn't help, try a different amp.

Jeffery

Jun 4, 2005 at 10:58 AM Post #10 of 10
Obviously there's some serious matching problem between your particular integrated amp and the headphone, again, provided that the headphone is faultless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back