"problem" with Griffin Smarttalk Mic Adapter...
Jul 7, 2009 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

bobthebob

New Head-Fier
hey all - i'm married to my UE Super-fi 5 Pro's - can't live with out em.
a few months ago i bought a Nokia XpressMusic 5310 and it came with a little inline microphone adapter so you could use any kind of headphones you like... unfortunately i lost the little doohickey and have been searching for a replacement ever since. now the phone actually uses a standard 3.5mm jack so i figured i could just use anything made for the new iPhones. as such i chose the Griffin iTalk as it was $20 cheaper than the Shure Inline Mic Adapter and had gotten better reviews in terms of sound quality.
BUT - when i tried to use it, i discovered that things weren't going to be so easy after all. the Mic adapter didn't function as a microphone at all and only functioned properly as a pass thru for the UE's when i held the button *down*!
without holding the button down i only get mono or something...

so here's are my questions:
1) does anyone have any experience using the Shure Inline Mic Adapter with anything other than an iPhone? did it work?
2) any of you uber-geeks out there know how i could possibly rewire this puppy to get it to work? i'm handy enough with a soldering iron but without a wiring diagram i'm not sure how to proceed. i don't really need the button functionality (altho that would be nice) if that makes it any easier.

if anyone has any advice i'd sure appreciate it!
thanks,
bennett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back