Problem with GCHA. Need help.
Jul 21, 2006 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Rhydon

MOT: Symphones
Recently ive been experiencing a problem with my PS audio GCHA. Im trying to determine the problem without sending it to PS audio's California repair facility. Having already sent it there once (the problem went into hiding when it was on their benches) i dont want to spend another 40$ for shipping before i can pinpoint exactly what my amplifer is doing wrong.

This is the dilema: The entire stereo image is offset. Its like listening to a mono track, but a mono track heavy on the left side. This problem first started coming and going for a while, then it stuck, and now i cant get rid of it. Also, im noticing that when i wiggle the plug, i hear a loud scratching noise, AND when i turn the amp on and off, i hear a pop, only on the right side (this pop is normal for some amps, but i remember hearing it on both sides when everything was working normally).

Ive talked with Barrows over at PS audio. I said i think it could be a bad 1/4" jack, but im honestly not sure. Does anyone know if a mono sound shifted to the left side is an example of a bad 1/4" socket? OR by the sounds of my problem, should i send it in for repair?

I am finding these results using HP-2's, MS2i's, and SR325i's; It is not the headphone or cable.

Any tips would greatly help-

Rhydon

Jul 21, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 2
My gut feel is that it could very well be a bad jack. A few years ago I had a PS Audio PCA2 pre-amp and the headphone jack on it developed a similar problem, Left side only sound and very noisy when inserting the HP plug. A friend far more versed in electrical knowledge diagnosed a bad jack (something about contact springs wearing out). Thankfully this problem has not manifested itself on my GCHA.
I would send it in for repairs, clearly it won't do to have a $900 amp lying around totally useless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back