problem with ER6i noise cancellation
Apr 12, 2007 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jbforever05

New Head-Fier
Just got the Etymotic ER6i earbuds from Amazon and was excited to finally get them. Only problem is I don't think they're working out how they're supposed to. I've never had a pair of in ear headphones before so not sure how they're supposed to work but the impression I got was that you could put them in and they would block out all outside noise (I heard reports of people sticking them in and even with the music off they were not able to hear someone in the same room yelling at them). However, I can still hear slight noises when mine are in such as clinking of dishes, voices in the same room, passing traffic, etc. This is with the music off, but even with it on I can still hear some of this. Not sure if I'm expecting more than these earbuds offer but I was expecting these to cancel out ALL outside noise, especially things that aren't especially loud like people having a conversation. I've fiddled around with the different ear tips and I feel like I've put the different tips in as far as they will go so that most of the tip is in the ear canal. And I think I'm getting some kind of seal because when I twist them out I can feel a little tugging sensation in my ear like they're suctioned in a little. I also haven't noticed anything wonderful about the sound like I've heard many people rave about, it sounds pretty much like my normal Apple earbuds did right now. So not sure what I'm doing wrong because I think I'm getting a bit of a seal and jamming the tips into the ear as far as I can but can still hear sounds that aren't excessively loud and haven't noticed a significant improvement in sound. Other than that I'm finding a bit of difficulty getting the earbud in my left ear since I am right handed and it's hard to get the earbud situated in there so that could be part of the problem but I don't think that's entirely at fault. Any suggestions?

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 9
I've seen the video on Etymotic's website for the ER6i and am almost positive that i'm inserting them the right away. Just tried again and seem to be getting better sound. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it or I could just be paranoid that I'm doing something wrong since I've never used anything like this before and am not sure what to expect. They're sounding quite good right now. I'm still hearing minor noise like the tv in the next room when I have them in though (without music). Is this to be expected? I guess that is my main concern because I have heard from people who claim that they can be in a room with someone screaming at them and they won't hear a thing (with no music on). If that is true then I'm not getting them in perfectly (though I am getting a seal).

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 9
No IEM will EVER cancel out all ambient noise. Some can go up to 40dbs though. From my experience, when I got my E500s and threw on foams I couldnt hear crap. Like people talking at normal conversation level from 5-10ft away. All that I heard was murmurs n such.

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 9
That claim about not being able to hear someone screaming in the same room is bs.

For the first time IEM user it will take several days practicing proper fit to be really comfortable with them. Try listening to your music with the ER6i exclusively for a few days and they should grow on you even more.

I use ER6 and ER4P with foam tips only. I insert them as far as possible until they are obviously at max. depth. Try looking in a mirror as you fit them, this might help as one ear may seem easier to fit.

Also, if you're using the flange tips, be aware that any pressure in the ear will negatively effect their sound.This can usually be eliminated by adjusting the fit.

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #7 of 9
i dunno know, i always find moistening the tips prior to insertion gives me a very good seal.

Apr 12, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #8 of 9
Realistically, the Ety's won't put you into a literal Cone of Silence ... but on a noisy bus, train or airplane, the ability to significantly distance yourself from the ambient racket will be cause for celebration. Sorry if we've led you to believe they would do more than that.

For me, the stock Ety foams and especially the short Comply foams really help with fit, comfort and sound quality. Your mileage may vary ... and you might not want to pay to replace foams periodically. But you've come this far, so give them a try sometime.
etysmile.gif

Also, keep in mind that Ety's can take some getting used to, and as a first-time in-ear user, they might be even more difficult to get used to. But you already seem to realize that there is reward, involved, as well.

Apr 12, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #9 of 9
I bought a pair a few weeks ago, and I had a bit hard time adjusting at first. I kept on switching between the foamies & flanges. At first I found that the foamies gave the best isolation and comfort. But eventually they lost their waxiness and wouldn't keep their shape. I went back to flanges which have been just as great now that I'm used to it. Getting the right fit is crucial, which takes getting used to. With that being said, they do not completely block all noise. You'll still be able to hear people talking, doors shutting, etc, without the music on. With the music on, you can probably still hear ambient noise, but barely. On the airplane, you will still hear the engine, but they block out enough noise that you can actually listen to an ipod at normal volume and still hear everything perfectly. The Er6i can't block out all ambient noise, but it does one of the best jobs for it's price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back