Problem with diy cable that I bought on ebay
Sep 1, 2006 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

izquierdaste

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I was wondering if there might be an easy fix for a defective mini-to-rca cable I bought off ebay. I don't have any real tools, but can get access to a soldering iron. Anyways, here is the problem: when I plug both rca cables in, I get barely any noise from either channel. When I plug the white rca cable in, things are ok for one of the channels. If I then replug the red rca, I lose sound. If I plug in just the red cable, I also don't get any sound.

Does any know how I might fix this?

Thanks for any help

Sep 1, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #2 of 11
return to sender...

if you have parts/time/technique to fix it, you should have built the whole thing from the start.

if you dont, the person who built it should have built it properly.

Sep 1, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #5 of 11
Well the easy fix would be to go around to the buyers house, strangle them with the cable until they pass out, rifle through their wallet and take enough money to buy a new cable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Or do the less violent, yet more boring, approach like has been suggested. *yawn*

In all seriousness though that is grounds for returning them.

Sep 1, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for the replies. I have tried to contact the guy about fixing it, but I haven't heard back, so I thought I would see if there was a known, easy fix for this type of problem. I contacted him around 8pm yesterday, so I will give the guy another day or two before filing a complaint and trying to get the money via my credit card.

Sep 1, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #7 of 11
Being a cable maker myself I believe that this isn't how things are to be handled. He/She should have tested the cable before shipping it out. Honestly this in no way is excusable. If once you file with paypal and you don't win/ the seller doesn't fix this problem contact me and I might be able to fix it for cost of shipping. Do you have a link to the ebay auction?

-Alex-

Sep 1, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for the kind offers to try to help me out if the original builder doesn't respond. The builder did specify that the cable "was fully tested and burned in for 72 hours". Hence, it was a surprise that it doesn't work. I feel like I should wait before posting a link to the auction, because anyone can make a mistake. Perhaps if he built a few, he grabbed the wrong one. Nonetheless, this a hassle.

Thanks again

Sep 1, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by izquierdaste
Thanks for the kind offers to try to help me out if the original builder doesn't respond. The builder did specify that the cable "was fully tested and burned in for 72 hours". Hence, it was a surprise that it doesn't work. I feel like I should wait before posting a link to the auction, because anyone can make a mistake. Perhaps if he built a few, he grabbed the wrong one. Nonetheless, this a hassle.

Thanks again

He has that blurb on all his cable auctions; chances are he only does a brief test on some, if any at all.

Sep 5, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #11 of 11
I just wanted to say thanks again for the input for my ebay problem. The seller gave me a full refund and offered to let me keep the broken cable. So, he seems like a decent guy even though it took a couple days for the response. I mailed the broken cord back to him since it does me no good and he should be able to fix it up. This was part of a bad week on ebay for me. I also received a pair of dt770's that were listed as 80 ohm, but were actually a crustly old 600 ohm pair that smelled like mothballs. I also got a pair koss pro 4aat listed in near mint condition that had one of the driver cups snapped off the headset. I suppose looking for bargains on ebay is just a waste of time. (However, I did find a great deal on an rca-rca and mini-mini combo deal.)

Also, special thanks to those who said they would fix the cable for me. That was a really generous offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back