Problem with displaying Artists correctly in Play by Category
May 8, 2014 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

judge57

New Head-Fier
I've had the X5 about a week now, and love it so far. The sound is top notch. The only problem I'm having is in getting Artists to display correctly in the Play by Category.

Let me explain from start to finish how I set this up so maybe somebody can give me some guidance in case I'm doing something wrong. First, I organized my music by creating folders on my computer by the Artist's name, i.e. Pat Metheny. Then I would create sub-folders within that folder with the name of the Album as the Folder name. Then I would copy all the music files to the Album folder. This was then all copied to the X5 in this same manner.

Now, when I go to Play by Category, then scroll to Artist, I get four Artitsts: Pat Metheny & Brad Mehldau, Pat Metheny Group, Pat Metheny Trio and Pat Metheny. I have attached the USB cable to the X5 many times to look at the folder structure of the X5 on my computer, and I can't see any reason why the Artists should be showing up this way.

Any suggestions? Maybe a firmware issue that needs to be resolved?

Tony

May 8, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 5
You need to make sure all your files are tagged correctly.
Otherwise just play by folder.

May 8, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 5
Uzi2, thanks for the quick reply. Thanks for pointing out to me to just play by folder. I hadn't really thought about it that way. You're correct, when you go to Browse Files, it then shows all the folders just as they are on my computer. I then I just open the folder to see all the albums,and then pick out the one I want to pay. I had been going to Play by Category, going to Artists, and then trying to find it that way.

Going to Browse Files works much better than Play by Category, although I'm still not convinced there's not a problem with why the Artists' names get spread out when you go to the Artist category. Pardon my ignorance, but what should I be doing differently to tag the files correctly to get around this problem?

Anyway, problem solved...thanks for your time and input.

Tony Yocom

May 8, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 5
The X5 is just reporting what you have in the meta data of your files. If you want them all to report as Pat Metheny, you will need to edit them as such. If you are using Windows then Mp3tag or Tagscanner are both good tools for the job.

May 8, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 5
Okay, makes sense. I didn't realizing the X5 was reading the metadata for purposes of naming. I just thought it should take the name of the artist as I typed it. Thanks again, Uzi2, for your kind and quick responses. I'm new here, so I really appreciate the "body of knowledge" that will be available to me when I have problems.

Tony Yocom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back